Embedded Intel Atom® Processors
Technological Conversations about Intel Atom® Hardware, Software, Firmware, Graphics

PC vs. Embedded Use Conditions

PAgra
Beginner
Hello, We are planning to upgrade our processor to an Alder Lake N-series. It is provided as an PUC (PC Use Conditions) and EUC (Embedded Use Conditions). Apart from temperature range, which I can understand, there is also an Operating life parameter. It is varying from 30% (for PUC) to 80% (for EUC). I'm wondering what could make a processor less reliable when working 30% or 80% of its time ? Could you please point me to any documentation that could explain/detail these Use Conditions ? Thanks. Best regards, Patrick Agrain
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Pagra,

Thank you for posting in our Intel Processor communities forum.

We appreciate that you are planning to use Intel processors in your upgrade project. Please allow us to ask the following questions, so we can determine what documentation may help you:

1. May we know the specific Alder Lake-N CPU that you are after? You can find the list of Alder Lake-N models from this page.

2. Are you planning to upgrade to an embedded or mobile type of the Alder Lake-N processor?

3. If the documents that you mentioned exist, they are maybe confidential and you may need to create an account in our Resource & Documentation Center to access those documents. To check if this is the route that you would need to take, Would Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) and Failure in Time (FIT) data would be sufficient to answer your question?

Please check the description below for MTBF and FIT:

Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) is a reliability term used to provide the amount of failures per million hours for a product.

Failure In Time (FIT) reports the number of expected failures per one billion hours of operation for a device.

4. Is the system where you will be integrating this processor on a custom design system? 

0 Kudos
PAgra
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your time.

1. Alder-Lake based processors in mind are the N50 (PUC) and the x7425E (EUC).

2. If we trust the description of the Use Conditions related to PUC and EUC, then we would take the Embedded version (EUC). But that will also depend on the explanation you may give us about the differences between them.

4. Yes.

3. I have some knowledge about MTBF and FIT, but I feel hard to imagine that a system built around a PUC (defined for 30% Active time), running at 80% (e.g.), will break down after 5 years. But maybe I'm wrong. 

Thanks.

Best regards,

Patrick Agrain

0 Kudos
PAgra
Beginner

In addition, we plan a design belonging more to an 'Industrial' world, meaning 100% of active time.

Are there other processors, in this Atom world that could fit our requirements ?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Pagra,

We appreciate your response.

Since your issue is regarding embedded design and processors, we need to route this thread to correct channel so you will be better assisted by the proper team. This category is monitored by our experts, who can provide you with the best solution. To help you get your answer more quickly, we will now move your post to that category.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @PAgra:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We have sent an email to the address related to this account with information that may help you to answer your request.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos