Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14696 Discussions

Partial unlock on Intel i7 3770?

idata
Employee

Hi, I ordered a new computer with the Intel i7 3770 processor in it. I have never tried overclocking a computer before but I figured I would give it a try with this one. Well come to find out, (should have researched prior to ordering) the i7 3770 non K version is locked so that it cannot be overclocked. After doing even more research I have came across a couple forums where people were claiming that the non K version of the 3770 is partially unlocked and can be slightly overclocked. Is this true? I believe in BIOS the max multipliers that people are saying they have achieved with the i7 3770 is x41 and getting it to 4.3ghz. This is without changing the CPU clock rate and I do not want to change that either due to potential damage. This is what I found from someone while searching, "SB IB CPUs can be overclocked up to additional 4 bins(multiplier increased by 4) over its max turbo freq. That would be 4.3GHz, it can be done on all non K i5 and i7, they are also cathegorized as partially locked, i3 and less is however locked completely and doesn't even have turbo boost.

The K processors - fully unlocked, have multiplier limited to 57 and 63 on IB respectively." Is that information accurate? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to squeeze a tad more speed out of my non K 3770. Thanks everyone.in

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Anyone? 

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any OC potential for your locked CPU depends upon the mother board you use more than anything else. If your board provides Turbo multipliers for your CPU beyond 39, then you likely can use them.

Intel has set limits for many of the parameters that affect any OC potential, including the multiplier settings, and the less well know power duration settings. For example, the Turbo boost OC, whether standard (3.4GHz - 3.9GHz) or a higher top multiplier (39+) is not supposed to operate indefinitely, there is a time limit setting that the user cannot change. Mother board manufactures have found they can ignore the limits safely, and they are not enforced by Intel. If the limit for the max Turbo OC for your CPU (39) can be increased by the BIOS/UEFI, and accepted by the CPU, and a manufacture includes that on their board, it will work. As you've read, some manufactures are doing that now for non-K CPUs.

I know ASRock is one manufacture that does that, adding "non-K" OC to some of their Z77 chipset boards. You can possibly find more is you look.

0 Kudos