Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14642 Discussions

Processor size

x_Rage
Novice

Hello. Why are processors not made in a larger size? Any cooler is not effective at all because the heat transfer from the IHS is insufficiently efficient. I have 13700K and the best air cooler on the market: Noctua nh-D15s chromax.black. If I did not set the offset - 0.100, it would not be possible to use the basic CPU settings at full load, because thermal throttling would occur (At a long 100% load). I'm not talking about the fact that I want to clock it in the future. So why aren't larger CPU areas made?
I assume that some official intel support is also monitoring this, so I would be happy if they commented on it.

13700K on ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFIgiphy (1).gif

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AnaWilliam850
New Contributor I

The reason processors are not made in a larger size is due to a number of technical and practical constraints. One of the key factors is the difficulty in achieving uniformity of the semiconductor material used to create the chip. The larger the chip size, the more difficult it is to maintain consistency across the entire surface area, which can lead to performance and reliability issues.

In addition, larger chips require more power to operate, which can lead to higher power consumption and heat dissipation. This can lead to thermal management challenges, as you have experienced with your 13700K processor. While larger coolers can help dissipate heat, there are practical limits to their size and weight, and they may not be compatible with all computer cases or configurations.

Overall, chip manufacturers need to balance performance, power consumption, and thermal management in order to create processors that meet the needs of their customers. While it may be possible to create larger chips, doing so would require significant advances in semiconductor manufacturing technology and would likely come with its own set of challenges and limitations.

Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello x_Rage,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I understand that you want to know why Intel® Core™ i7-13700K Processor is not made larger, I will be happy to help you.  

I will start with an investigation to provide you with the information that you need. I will let you know as soon as possible.

@AnaWilliam850 thank you for the explanation it has been really helpful.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello x_Rage,

We have been working on the investigation, and below you will find some reasons why processors are not made in a larger size.

1. The size of the CPU can vary based on the socket model and the specifications required by the motherboard.
  2. Manufacturers build various types of processors with different architectures, such as 64-bit and 32-bit, providing maximum speed and flexible capacity. There is no set size for CPU cores. Different CPU architectures will result in different sizes for CPU cores. We will have into consideration that different processors have different specifications and technologies supported, there are processors that can be bigger because they will demand more contacts to process the tasks however, it will depend on the socket type and the requirements of the motherboard.
  3. You need to have into consideration that each CPU will have specific thermal requirements, you check can them, to know a cooling that complies with the CPU. How to Choose Thermal Solutions for Intel® Core™ Boxed Desktop Processor

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello x_Rage,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.   

Best regards,  

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello x_Rage,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andres P.  

0 Kudos
x_Rage
Novice

Greetings. I apologize for the delay. You wrote me the very basic things that are generally known. After all, you decide how big the socket will be, and motherboard manufacturers will adapt. It is known that people will normally touch the thermal throttling in Prime or Cinebench 23 during the automatic voltage setting. It doesn't matter what cooler is used. Therefore, the solution would be to produce 1/3 larger processors. Because that would mean -10 - 15°C for you. So I'll let it go, because you are not able to answer me and what Ana William wrote makes a lot of sense to me. For me, the processor works correctly at an offset of -0.100, it could also handle -0.150, but it won't pass one of Intel's stability tests there. Finally, I would just like to ask whether the IHS is glued or firmly soldered again. Because in this state of heat transfer, clocking is out of the question. Which annoys me a little, because when someone buys a K processor and can't even cool down the base clock, it's sad.

0 Kudos