Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14586 Discussions

Question about SpeedStep and Turbo Boost

idata
Employee

Are SpeedStep required to be enabled for Turbo Boost to work properly? Because I'm trying to configure my system to not let my Core i7 3960X drop below it's stock frequency, which is 3.3GHz. But I still want Turbo Boost to be able to take the CPU to it's maximum turbo frequency, which is 3.9GHz. If I disable SpeedStep in BIOS, my CPU gets locked at 3.9GHz and that is not what I want. I want my system to automatically control the speed between 3.3GHz and 3.9GHz without being allowed to take the CPU any lower than 3.3GHz.

What power plan settings in Windows should I use for this? And what BIOS settings should be enabled/disabled? My motherboard is an Asus Rampage IV Extreme with the latest BIOS version available for it.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

Enhance Intel SpeedStep® Technology allows the processor to lower the speed when it is in idle or low work load, this will allow the system to save power consumption.

The Intel Turbo Boost feature allows the processor to increase the clock speed when it is needed, like when it is in full load.

So basically those are 2 different features, however please keep in mind that the operating system is the one that determines when to use the Intel Turbo Boost and when not to use it, so the user cannot determine the usage of the Turbo Boost feature manually.

I would suggest contacting Microsoft* Corporation for them to provide you recommendations about which power plan to use, regarding the BIOS options, you need to contact ASUS* so they can provide you recommendations on what options to have enabled / disabled to increase performance behavior. Please keep in mind that since Intel® Corporation does not manufacture ASUS* motherboard, Intel® is not familiar with the BIOS of those motherboards.

0 Kudos