Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

RAM speed compatibility.??

heyrobbie
Novice
hello there...

wondering if it is okay to put different speed/ frequency Ram sticks on one motherboard...(intel desktop)
.say one stick is 8Gb DDR3 1600MT/s and another stick in dual channel is 8Gb DDR3 1400MT/s..

will it work.?? at the given speeds or what would happen.??

thanks....reply awaited
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Well, without knowing all I can give is a guess.  Generally speaking, you should NOT mix memory.  Both sticks should be the same, which is why they sell memory in kits.

If you do mix them, the best you can hope for is that both will run at the lower speed.  I would not be surprised to see memory problems and crashes.

No, you cannot assume that works on one manufacturer's board will work on another manufacturer's board. 

For the MSI board, you should check with MSI.  Typically, they have this inforation on their web support page for their other boards.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Which Intel Desktop board?

heyrobbie
Novice
well one is quite old 2008-2009 with Intel core 2 Duo and Intel motherboard. (haven't noted serial no or anything

and another is MSI h81m e33 board with intel Pentium G3220.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Look on the board for the model number or AA number.

0 Kudos
heyrobbie
Novice
can you tell according to the msi one....the technicalities of such should carry over to most boards i guess?? even if different brands or companies*

also dont have old intel setup close by at the moment... apologies if tht is must
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, without knowing all I can give is a guess.  Generally speaking, you should NOT mix memory.  Both sticks should be the same, which is why they sell memory in kits.

If you do mix them, the best you can hope for is that both will run at the lower speed.  I would not be surprised to see memory problems and crashes.

No, you cannot assume that works on one manufacturer's board will work on another manufacturer's board. 

For the MSI board, you should check with MSI.  Typically, they have this inforation on their web support page for their other boards.