Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14794 Discussions

(Solved) Stability issue with proc I9-14900K, crash + BSOD

ChrisR09
Novice

Hello to all the team,

Happy to find this discussion forum, and especially not to be isolated with my I9 14900K problems…

I have had a problem since the first day with the i9 14900K CPU, I have to deactivate hyperthreading via the Bios to obtain stable operation, otherwise when launching even a simple application like Affinity designer, or Photoshop, I almost always get a blue screen, then reboot the system, sometimes the apps crash randomly...
When launching OCCT or Cinebench 2024, the computer freezes, you must systematically do a hard reset...

I was able to reproduce this fault, in fact deactivating the HT makes the system stable!!. It took me a while to find the culprit, I thought it was a bad cooling system, I installed a Corsair H150i 360 watercooler, and nothing happened...
For information, I have no overclocking of the components, everything is original in the Bios by default.

I'm on clean Windows 11 23h2 (reinstalled), my MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI , Nvidia 4090 24GB graphics card, latest driver 551.52

I just flashed the MSI CM to M20, the update went well, but unfortunately activating hyperthreading via Bios still causes my BSOD or crashes the apps... Too bad... the CPU works great without the HT, in itself, it could stay like that, but given the price of the proc I'm a little afraid of instability or more serious problems after the warranty... never had a problem with Intel CPUs for 30 years …

I have just been lent another CPU, it's an i7-12700F socket LGA1700, after several continuous tests on OCCT and especially hyperthreading activated, no BSOD or app crashes... it works perfectly, so by deduction my problem does not come from the Main board!

By some miracle I came across the INTEL solution on this forum:

1. Solution A:
1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "CPU Core Voltage Mode", select "Offset Mode", select "+(By PWM)", and adjust the voltage until the system is stable, we recommend not exceeding 0.025V for a single increase. If the problem persists, you can move on to solution B.

2. Solution B:
1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "DigitALL Power", modify "CPU Loadline Calibration Control" and recommend starting from "Mode 7" at a lower value until the system is stable.

Solution A: for me, the system boot is blocked, Windows cannot start, I find my bios after restarting the system. I think I must not enter the correct value "0.025", the adjustment of the value: it is not clear to me.

Solution B: works wonderfully for me!!!!!!!!!! the computer is finally stable with all my applications, even the heaviest ones like Cinebench, in fact I saw for the first time my CPU consumption go above 300W under OCCT… is this normal…?!

Dear Intel engineers, can you explain to me why? And with the "Mode 7" parameter selected, isn't my processor restricted/underutilized? This is the first time I'm working in the BIOS settings of my machine, the default values have never caused me a problem in 30 years, forgive me for my ignorance, but this kind of modification cannot be improvised …

Attached the SSU file

Thank you for your explanations.
Sorry for my English

Best regards
Christopher.

23 Replies
smatei
Beginner

I had issues with the Jetbrains PHPStorm IDE. It is a java product, and it was crashing with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. From time to time my Windows 11 was crashing too, either with blue screen or with black screen.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000001b7a334a56e, pid=4732, tid=6632
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment JBR-17.0.10+1-1207.14-jcef (17.0.10+1) (build 17.0.10+1-b1207.14)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM JBR-17.0.10+1-1207.14-jcef (17.0.10+1-b1207.14, mixed mode, compressed oops, compressed class ptrs, g1 gc, windows-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# j  com.intellij.openapi.util.text.StringUtil.stringHashCodeInsensitive(Ljava/lang/CharSequence;II)I+12
#
# No core dump will be written. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/JBR
#

---------------  S U M M A R Y ------------

Command Line: exit -XX:ErrorFile=C:\Users\stefan\\java_error_in_phpstorm64_%p.log -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:\Users\stefan\\java_error_in_phpstorm64.hprof -Xms128m -Xmx2048m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:-OmitStackTraceInFastThrow -XX:+IgnoreUnrecognizedVMOptions -ea -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -Dsun.java2d.metal=true -Djbr.catch.SIGABRT=true -Djdk.http.auth.tunneling.disabledSchemes="" -Djdk.attach.allowAttachSelf=true -Djdk.module.illegalAccess.silent=true -Dkotlinx.coroutines.debug=off -XX:CICompilerCount=2 -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=512m -XX:CompileCommand=exclude,com/intellij/openapi/vfs/impl/FilePartNodeRoot,trieDescend -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=50 -Xmx10000m -XX:-TieredCompilation -Djb.vmOptionsFile=C:\Users\stefan\AppData\Roaming\\JetBrains\\PhpStorm2024.1\phpstorm64.exe.vmoptions -Djava.system.class.loader=com.intellij.util.lang.PathClassLoader -Didea.vendor.name=JetBrains -Didea.paths.selector=PhpStorm2024.1 -Djna.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2024.1.1/lib/jna/amd64 -Dpty4j.preferred.native.folder=C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2024.1.1/lib/pty4j -Djna.nosys=true -Djna.noclasspath=true -Dintellij.platform.runtime.repository.path=C:\Program Files\JetBrains\PhpStorm 2024.1.1/modules/module-descriptors.jar -Didea.platform.prefix=PhpStorm -Dsplash=true -Daether.connector.resumeDownloads=false --add-opens=java.base/java.io=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang.ref=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang.reflect=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.net=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.nio=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.nio.charset=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.time=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent.atomic=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.util.concurrent.locks=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/jdk.internal.vm=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.nio.ch=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.nio.fs=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.security.ssl=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.security.util=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/sun.net.dns=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.dnd.peer=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.event=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.image=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.peer=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/java.awt.font=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.text=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing.text.html=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.awt.datatransfer=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.awt.image=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.awt.windows=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.awt=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.font=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.java2d=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/sun.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.desktop/com.sun.java.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=jdk.attach/sun.tools.attach=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.api=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=jdk.internal.jvmstat/sun.jvmstat.monitor=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=jdk.jdi/com.sun.tools.jdi=ALL-UNNAMED -Dide.native.launcher=true -Djcef.sandbox.ptr=000001B79E11C780 -Djcef.sandbox.cefVersion=122.1.9+gd14e051+chromium-122.0.6261.94 

Host: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K, 32 cores, 63G,  Windows 11 , 64 bit Build 22621 (10.0.22621.3527)
Time: Mon May 20 14:56:00 2024 GTB Daylight Time elapsed time: 5.509978 seconds (0d 0h 0m 5s)

My Gigabyte Model Z790 AORUS PRO X (U3E1) motherboard bios was set to use by default:

Intel Turbo Boost Technology

and

Intel Turbo Boos Max Technology 3.0

image1.png

After disabling them both my issues with PHPStorm were solved. It seems that there are stability issues with this cpu when overclocked. And by default the mainboard bios is overclocking them.

This comment was very helpful

https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/JBR-6610/Webstorm-crashes-when-indexing-files-on-wsl-2#focus=Comments-27-8974019.0-0 

0 Kudos
ChrisR09
Novice

Good morning,

I did the latest update to the MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI motherboard:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-A-MAX-WIFI/support

Do you have any advice on the bios configuration parameters recommended by Intel for our famous I9-14900K processor? thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Christopher.

0 Kudos