Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14587 Discussions

(Solved) Stability issue with proc I9-14900K, crash + BSOD

ChrisR09
Novice

Hello to all the team,

Happy to find this discussion forum, and especially not to be isolated with my I9 14900K problems…

I have had a problem since the first day with the i9 14900K CPU, I have to deactivate hyperthreading via the Bios to obtain stable operation, otherwise when launching even a simple application like Affinity designer, or Photoshop, I almost always get a blue screen, then reboot the system, sometimes the apps crash randomly...
When launching OCCT or Cinebench 2024, the computer freezes, you must systematically do a hard reset...

I was able to reproduce this fault, in fact deactivating the HT makes the system stable!!. It took me a while to find the culprit, I thought it was a bad cooling system, I installed a Corsair H150i 360 watercooler, and nothing happened...
For information, I have no overclocking of the components, everything is original in the Bios by default.

I'm on clean Windows 11 23h2 (reinstalled), my MSI PRO Z790-A MAX WIFI , Nvidia 4090 24GB graphics card, latest driver 551.52

I just flashed the MSI CM to M20, the update went well, but unfortunately activating hyperthreading via Bios still causes my BSOD or crashes the apps... Too bad... the CPU works great without the HT, in itself, it could stay like that, but given the price of the proc I'm a little afraid of instability or more serious problems after the warranty... never had a problem with Intel CPUs for 30 years …

I have just been lent another CPU, it's an i7-12700F socket LGA1700, after several continuous tests on OCCT and especially hyperthreading activated, no BSOD or app crashes... it works perfectly, so by deduction my problem does not come from the Main board!

By some miracle I came across the INTEL solution on this forum:

1. Solution A:
1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "CPU Core Voltage Mode", select "Offset Mode", select "+(By PWM)", and adjust the voltage until the system is stable, we recommend not exceeding 0.025V for a single increase. If the problem persists, you can move on to solution B.

2. Solution B:
1. In BIOS, select "OC", select "DigitALL Power", modify "CPU Loadline Calibration Control" and recommend starting from "Mode 7" at a lower value until the system is stable.

Solution A: for me, the system boot is blocked, Windows cannot start, I find my bios after restarting the system. I think I must not enter the correct value "0.025", the adjustment of the value: it is not clear to me.

Solution B: works wonderfully for me!!!!!!!!!! the computer is finally stable with all my applications, even the heaviest ones like Cinebench, in fact I saw for the first time my CPU consumption go above 300W under OCCT… is this normal…?!

Dear Intel engineers, can you explain to me why? And with the "Mode 7" parameter selected, isn't my processor restricted/underutilized? This is the first time I'm working in the BIOS settings of my machine, the default values have never caused me a problem in 30 years, forgive me for my ignorance, but this kind of modification cannot be improvised …

Attached the SSU file

Thank you for your explanations.
Sorry for my English

Best regards
Christopher.

9 Replies
ChrisR09
Novice

Dear Intel engineers, can you explain to me why?

0 Kudos
MrEdcar007
Beginner

Made an account just to say, THANK YOU!

I have the exact same PC with the exact same problem.
If I wanted to export a video on Premiere, it would either close on its own or give me a blue screen. Sometimes both!

I had no problems playing video games, except when using RPCS3 when it compiles shaders. Same issue there.

Anything that requires heavy CPU load just tears down the whole processor.

Until "Solution B" finally fixed it!

Premiere exported the same video and the same settings with no issue this time, same goes for the emulator.

I also noticed that the CPU didn't go above 300W when exporting on Premiere on "Mode 7". Without it, I saw it reach 313W and the crash followed shortly after...

Note that I also updated the BIOS and running the system on stock settings.

This seems to be a common issue with this motherboard and CPU combo.

Thanks again, Christopher!

ChrisR09
Novice

Good morning !

Ohhhhh great, with great pleasure, I am very happy for you! For information, I tried the different modes, on my machine there is only "MODE 7" which is stable on my i9-14900K! I would really like to have an explanation from the pros at Intel!!

I have the impression more and more that we have been scammed with this new chip, Intel is hiding something from us... Despite an H150i 360 watercooler, we are underusing this processor with this tweak in the BIOS, I am am sure... Give us INTEL explanations!!!!

Have a nice day
Looking forward to it
Christopher.

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

300W without OC and no restrictions is normal (in my case DDR4 @3200MT/s is limiting the CPU)

KrissyG_0-1711459934595.png

0 Kudos
Chris280
Beginner
I also have a very similar setup with a very similar problem.

So far solution B has worked quite well. Thank you!
0 Kudos
DDave
Beginner

Mode 7 is works for me perfectly as well, thanks! But now my CPU is hot like hell, and it eats power a lot. What a good CPU for work where stability is important...

Chris280
Beginner

MSI has released an update that claims to address this.

It did not, if I wanted my system to work, I had to engage Mode 7 again, which I did. 

0 Kudos
DDave
Beginner
Same for me on an ASUS ROG mobo
0 Kudos
ChrisR09
Novice

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback, I saw this new Bios update on the MSI website:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-A-MAX-WIFI/support#bios

AMI BIOS7E07vM3 2024-04-17 9.59 MB

I haven't tested it on my system yet, I would be curious to see the result, to owners of CM MSI+i9 14900K if you have positive feedback, tell us, thank you very much.

Kind regards

Christopher

0 Kudos