Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14964 Discussions

Stability issues with i9-14900K

Ziguard
Beginner

Hi there,

I'm opening this topic since, as a lot of people having a i9-14900K, I'm experiencing multiple issues. Quite regular and random BSOD, applications crashing, etc.

I already opened a topic on Tom's Hardware where we discovered that the issue was probably my CPU. I tried to apply the various solutions given here and by Intel, but the issues still persists. Hence, me coming here crying for help since I have these troubles since 8 months TT____TT

Problems/symptoms:

- BSOD, pretty often when I am not in front of the computer (which is freakin' strange as it is quite systematic, but I spent a LOT of time in front of my screen). Logs attached.

- Some applications crash pretty often. Recently MPC crashes once or two times a day. You'll find the error popup attached.

But most of the time it is Thunderbird, Chrome and Firefox. I tend to use a lot of windows and tabs on both of them, but it never has been a problem with my past configs with a lot less power... Tabs crash pretty often (around every 10 minutes, maybe? It's pretty random) and sometimes the whole browser crash.

- It can happen on video games, but it is kinda rare.

Here is my config:
Motherboard - ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
BIOS ver/date - American Megatrends Inc. ver. 2202
CPU - Intel Core i9-14900K
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x32GB 6400MHz
SSD - Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB
PSU - Corsair AX1600i

What has been done:

I enabled Intel's recommended settings in my BIOS, disabled hyperthreading and tried to set the PPL to what was recommended. I'm at a point where I don't know anymore how my BIOS is tweaked.

I tested my RAM a few months ago with MemTest86, no problem was detected.

I will attach on this post my last 2 BSODs logs

The link to my precedent topic on Tom's Hardware, if some infos on it can help: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/bsod-kmode_exception_not_handled-with-ntoskrnl-exe.3838128/#post-23213383

I hope you can help me, this problem has been driving me crazy for half a year now, I don't know what to do anymore...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Phunction
Beginner

I am having issues as well with a similar setup. 

ROG Maximus Dark Hero Z790

i9-14900K

RTX 3090

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6800

Samsung 990 Pro M.2

I get about 1 to 2 BSOD per week, usually when I am not at my system. The error usually is Unexpected Store Exception

No overclocking BIOS settings at Intels recommendation that came out a few weeks ago with the update BIOS for the board.

I think these CPU's are just plain faulty with all the issues they seem to be having.

There should be a way to get our money back, replacing a bad cpu with another bad cpu on warranty is pointless.

Intel still hasn't figured out why these CPU's are having issues.

I do run VM Workstation, never have an issue with it on my AMD system, not sure if that is bring out the faulty Intel CPU issues like some games are.

0 Kudos
colorete
Beginner
You are right on the refund, i wish i would have gotten the 12900ks instead of 14700k, my purpose is gaming, i know its somewhat an overkill, but i was satisfyed with the results, but im starting to expirience crashes on some games.

I mean i came from an old 6500t to new generetion, and it sucks 10 percent.. Now, hope it doesnt increase more with time
0 Kudos
AWildRattus
Beginner

Im having the exact same issues.

When I first built my PC, I was getting BSOD while Windows would try to boot. My out of the box BIOS version was something like F8 which had the dodgy fake Intel Power Profiles. I flashed my BIOS to F14 and chose the Intel defaults which added some stability but noticed some games which used shaders would crash A LOT. I tried various different voltage and cpu settings but have never been able to solve the stability problems. One of the main indicators of system instability for me is playing Counter Strike 2.

I recently flashed my BIOS to F14b and loaded the more optimized Intel defaults which has stopped Counter Strike 2 from crashing, so I thought that my stability issues were finally resolved. Now i've noticed other desktop applications have begun to crash randomly (they never used to, only some games).

Microsoft Teams randomly closes entirely without error.

Discord randomly closes and restarts.

Google Chrome and tabs will stop running and present strange errors like STATUS_Violation.

I'm very upset that this expensive new PC is causing my issues daily, I just don't know what to do. Im not an electrical engineer or someone with loads of overclocking experience, so I dont really know what I'm doing when changing advanced CPU features. I'm actually concerned that i've caused degredation in my CPU due to it running at incorrect voltages for a few months.

My specs are:

i9 14900KS

64GB Corsair DDR5 6000

Gigabyte z790 Aorus Master

Gigabyte GeForce 4080 Super

1000w Power Supply

0 Kudos
Ziguard
Beginner

Oh god, I forgot to talk about Discord. It drives me INSANE.

For a time I thought that switching to the Canary Edition (beta version) solved in part my problem, but today I experiences still a LOT of crashes >< It may reduce your number of crashes, hopefully...

But yeah, I'm kinda saddened that no official Intel team member has come on this topic

0 Kudos
ShunMnzed
New Contributor I

Hi there

Given the troubleshooting steps you've already taken, including adjusting BIOS settings and testing your RAM, it seems like you've covered some solid ground. Given the detailed nature of your problem, community forums like Tom's Hardware can also be valuable for crowd-sourcing solutions from users with similar setups.

But consider this link from Intel: https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/June-2024-Guidance-regarding-Intel-Core-13th-and-14th-Gen-K-KF/m-p/1607807#M73544

"Intel analysis has determined a confirmed contributing factor to the instability reports on Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen (K/KF/KS) desktop processors is elevated voltage input to the processor due to previous BIOS settings which allow the processor to operate at turbo frequencies and voltages even while the processor is at a high temperature.

However, in investigating this instability issue Intel did discover a bug in the Enhanced Thermal Velocity Boost (eTVB) algorithm which can impact operating conditions for Intel Core 13th and 14th Gen (K/KF/KS) desktop processors. We have developed a patch for the eTVB bug and are working with our OEM/ODM motherboard partners to roll out the patch as part of BIOS updates ahead of July 19th, 2024. While this eTVB bug is potentially contributing to instability, it is not the root cause of the instability issue."

Regards,

Tyler..

0 Kudos
Ziguard
Beginner

Thanks!

I'll shall wait for the new Bios update, then. For the time being, I'll try to apply the new settings shown on the topic you linked.

And yeah, I tried to see what other solutions there were on Tom's hardware for similar problem, but nothing proven miraculous...

0 Kudos
Beginner

im having bsod issues as well mainly when im away from the pc it bsod and restarts overnight. i got the 14700k and Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x gigabyte board. it worked well for about a month and then the problems started happening. i have no overclocking. im currently running tests with the core speed clock multiplier set to 48 through intel XTU to see if that helps. Sucks that we have to deal with these issues as stability is the most critical aspect of any processor. Stability should never be secondary to performance.

0 Kudos
colorete
Beginner
Im in a hurry right now... If you upgrade the bios, return to the previous you had, that worked for me.
0 Kudos