Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

System shutdown 30 minutes after boot possibly due to Management Engine

praisemei
Novice

Hi all,

My laptop has a  i5-6300HQ processor with HM170 chipset , and recently I've started having a problem where the computer shuts down exactly 30 minutes after boot (this also occurs if I just stays in the BIOS).  I've tried reflashing multiple versions of the BIOS as well as disconnecting the CMOS battery but neither worked.  After some googling I found that the Intel Management Engine can shuts down a machine 30 minutes after boot if not configured properly. Coincidentally ME does not show up in device manager even though this processor should have it, which leads me to suspect that it's the root cause.  I tried installing the ME firmware but got the error that the platform is not supported.  I've attached the error log below.  Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello praisemei, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

After doing some investigation I found that indeed, the Intel® MEI can cause shutdowns every 30 minutes, remember that the Intel® MEI is in charge of managing the system in several ways, so if it is corrupted, missing drivers or the actual chip in the system is defective, can cause this behavior. 

Your system manufacturer should help you to check if there is a corruption in the software's side, or if this is a hardware problem. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello praisemei, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

The Intel® Management Engine Interface (Intel® MEI) is indeed supported in the Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ Processor.  

Please keep in mind that the Intel® MEI is a layer within the motherboard BIOS that allows interaction between the operating system and the BIOS itself. Therefore, all the updates for the Intel® MEI are included in the BIOS updates (provided by your system manufacturer). Based on this, you need to report this problem to the manufacturer for more help, either to restore a corrupted BIOS, or a hardware problem if it is the case. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

praisemei
Novice

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I've already contacted the manufacturer but haven't received a reply yet.  Can you confirm whether the ME can cause the 30 minute shut down behavior in the mean time?

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello praisemei, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Please let me confirm that internally, kindly wait for a response. As soon as we have an update, we will update on this thread. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello praisemei, 

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

After doing some investigation I found that indeed, the Intel® MEI can cause shutdowns every 30 minutes, remember that the Intel® MEI is in charge of managing the system in several ways, so if it is corrupted, missing drivers or the actual chip in the system is defective, can cause this behavior. 

Your system manufacturer should help you to check if there is a corruption in the software's side, or if this is a hardware problem. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

praisemei
Novice
Thanks for the clarification! Hopefully the manufacturer can resolve this.
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello praisemei, 

You are more than welcome.

The manufacturer should help you with this since as I mentioned, the updates are provided through their BIOS and the chip is embedded in their system.

I will proceed to close this inquiry, if you have any questions please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards, 

Sebastian M 

0 Kudos