Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14613 Discussions

Temperature spike to 85C on 1255u

Mike26
Novice

Hi everyone,

A few ago, I bought a new laptop and it has an i7-1255u processor.

I'm not looking for OEM specific support, I just have one question:

Does Intel (like AMD) these days spike the voltage at certain moments or does Intel do anything else that can explain why my laptop when booting up with CoreTemp enabled shows from 60-85C as max temperature, and stays around or even far under 50C when the laptop runs normally?

First update I installed made the laptop run very hot, felt the heat through the keyboard and when I checked with CoreTemp, it showed 83C. Never had the issue again though.

Or is there an OEM specific issue?

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These temperatures seem pretty normal to me. There will always be a spike in temperatures just after starting Windows as it gets all of its maintenance tasks up and running. Regarding temperatures, if you listen to Intel, they will tell you that any temperature below Tjmax (100c) is perfectly normal. I disagree. While spikes are ok, any sustained temperatures above, say, 90c should be concerning. A secondary concern is that there are components around the processor that cannot sustain these higher temperatures. If the processor is spending too much time at higher levels, these other components can roast. While it is normal for heat to be dissipated into the laptop's frame (including that of the keyboard), you certainly don't want this heat dissipating into your lap. 

Now, all that said, I have a beef with many of the laptop manufacturers. They routinely limit the performance of the processor in order to keep temperatures down and allow them to ship with a cheaper cooling solution. They also play the game of limiting power usage to make their battery performance look better. When you then add the crappy warranties and the mostly useless support services (which regularly dump their customers here), all in all slimy; just slimy. Regarding these warranties, a good one should provide 3 years of coverage (fat chance you will get one). Now, that 3 years is ok for the hardware, but I expect more on the software front. I want to see them committing to 6 years of driver support and security updates (especially BIOS). Fat chance I will get this, but I can hope a vendor with some integrity will come along.

Off my soapbox now,

...S

Mike26
Novice

Thank you very much for your answer, I'm gonna keep an eye on it just to be sure but indeed, other than the spikes it's perfectly okay

Yes the heat is being blown on the bottom of the screen (regular design these days I guess) and it made me go like "whaaaaa that can't be good". 

It's horrible indeed, I hope mine will last 7 years like my last one. If not, it's the last time I buy an expensive one. Yeah the only good software support you'll get is from professional models like HP Probook etc.

Thanks again for your answer, really brightened my day!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, but you are paying a lot extra to have that HP extended warranty - and it still drops to nada after three (or four if you bought the 'post-warranty' plan) years. If you pay for it all up front, I bet they've then nickeled and dimed you to close to double the base price of the laptop - and their support is *still* close to useless.

...S

Mike26
Novice

Oh yes absolutely

I do think I kinda "fixed" the issue of the hot cpu. I disabled hyperthreading and this seemed to have done the trick (together with limiting the maximum processor power to 80% in energy management).

I really hope it's for real that it's fixed haha! But it does seem like it  

0 Kudos