Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14787 Discussions

Thermal Throttling not avoiding computer restart

Rogério
Novice

I have a Windows 10 Desktop, with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz slightly overclocked to 4.40 GHz.

When the CPU temperature gets close to 100 degrees, Thermal Throttling is activated.

Rogrio_0-1675373133150.png

But even so, many times the desktop resets due to high temperature.
I already changed the cooler and the thermal paste, but since it's summer, the temperatures are still high.
The only way out I found was to disable overclocking to avoid overheating.

But, to avoid disabling overclocking, I would like to know if there is any way to configure the threshold for activating thermal throttling.
For example, instead of thermal throttling being activated near 100 degrees, I would like to activate it when the CPU reaches 90 degrees.
This would avoid the above-mentioned problem.
How to do this?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Rogério, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, it is important to mention that, the Intel® Core™ i7-4790K processor is under the status of End Of Interactive Support / Discontinued as you can verify in the link below:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80807/intel-core-i74790k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

So, Intel® technical support will no longer be provided for this kind of product, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products Website helpful to address your request: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rogério
Novice

In reference to this scenario, it is important to mention that, the Intel® Core™ i7-4790K processor is under the status of End Of Interactive Support / Discontinued as you can verify in the link below:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/80807/intel-core-i74790k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

The only thing I see with 'discontinued' is Marketing Status, which isn't saying much, as there's no explanation for that term in this link:

Rogrio_0-1675447977919.png

So, Intel® technical support will no longer be provided for this kind of product, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products Website helpful to address your request: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

There is no reference to this processor in this link

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your processor is almost 9 years old. It was discontinued and beyond its EOIS date at least three years ago. Quit your whining.

You say you've changed the cooler. What about the fan speed control configuration? By definition, the processor cooling fan (and/or pump) should be at full speed (100% duty cycle) if the temperature is at or above the Tcontrol temperature for your processor. The Tcontrol temperature varies from one individual desktop processor to another, but is typically somewhere in the vicinity of 85c. Do you have the fan speed control programming configured properly? If not, this may explain why your temperatures are ramping out of control.

...S

0 Kudos
Rogério
Novice

Quit your whining.

Funny.

What about the fan speed control configuration?

I have this cooler:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-h410r-rgb/

But I couldn't find how to control its fan speed. It seems to be automatic only.  

I tested some free software for fan speed control, but I didn't get success.

My main question is: would you know how to change the Thermal Throttle trigger limits for this processor, so that it activates at a lower temperature (thus reducing the clock at higher temperatures)?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The hardware portion of the fan speed control capability is implemented on the motherboard, typically as part of the functionality of the Super I/O (SIO) component. The configuration for this capability is usually implemented in the motherboard's BIOS Setup facility.

You should be able to use the SpeedFan tool from within Windows. Alfredo is no longer maintaining this tool, but it should support a board this old.

As far as I know, processors back then had their thermal throttling threshold locked at Tjmax (Maximum Junction Temperature). This was not modifiable in software.

Now, processor throttling based upon external temperatures is a capability that you may have access to. This was implemented originally to support the Voltage Regulator Module (VRM) throttling the processor if the VR components are getting too hot. This was done by the VRM asserting a signal, called PROCHOT, to the processor. Now, in some SIOs, a capability to assert PROCHOT was also provided and this could be used to cause throttling at a lower processor temperature. I do not know what SIO you have, however, so cannot tell you if you have this capability.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
KrissyG
New Contributor II

had i7 3930k with TDP of 130W , but with watercooling, never had more than 60*C in summer even if CPU usage was 100%.

Now, the best way to limit the temperature is either thermal throttling or power throttling. Bcoz power = energy, and if you reduce energy you reduce temperature.
So you wouldn't even need to escape overclocking, it's just the power throttling would jump in more often and reduce the performance along with CPU frequency.

So if you reduce power usage to a certain limit, you will never see thermal throttling.
That being said, if the room temp gets higher, you would need to lower the max power limit even more.....for this you already have a tool installed:

sdgsdg.JPG

Air cooling is ok, but you either need to go for overkill, or get yourself some basic watercooling kit.

As for fan speed, the "FanSpeed" software suggested....is very terrible, it doesn't work on all systems and often collides with other applications.
And, most motherboards do have applications to control fan speeds like the one from Gigabyte
sdgsdg.JPG

But my fav are fan controllers from Lamptron, you just need one slot in your PC tower and can control in total 6 different fans, or a power of max 6x30Watts , so it can be even 20 fans, except they would have to be split in 6 groups, it also has 6 temperature sensors too - all controlled with a touch screen.
dfghbfgh.JPG

As well various PCIe fan controllers too.

All that should actually not matter, if you plug in the CPU fan to the CPU header on your motherboard, by default it will make the fan go 100% if CPU temp gets over a certain limit - this is your quickest and best choice. I never encountered a motherboard without at least 3 fan headers, yours has at least 3 too. Of course, the fan you are using there is a PWM fan, right?

0 Kudos