Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14755 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
LRibe2
Novice

But still...

This thread has already been marked as answered and I haven't eard about any 7700K that's been damaged.

I'm just saying that, the fans issue has nothing to do with the way the CPU works. I've ajusted my fans so that they dont freak out at 60C. No crazy noises over here..

I've also adjusted my CPU settings controling it to work under 80C on AVX instructions (negative offset 2) at 4.5Ghz max and 4.7Ghz OC for other tasks, always under 72C now.

I've already opened another thread about this temperatures during AVX instructions load and this was the answer:

This being said, what can I say? That I dont agree with the way this CPU works? That I want a i7 7700K that works under load with lower temperatures?

If the z270 Mobo work with CPUs that run at lower temps and have a tjunction that dosent allow such high temps as the 7700k, it's normal that the settings on this mobos are set to deal with every cpu. If the 7700k works with higher temps, fans profiles must be adjusted.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Wanted to ask this long ago:

How will the mobo differ a spike from an actual heat increase?

While we wait for intel to answer I have set a constant low speed for my CPU fan. And even in some games it handles pretty well.

No noice ramping. So there is no excesive heat in my case.

But when I'll play something more demanding i'll need to set different fan speed.

And after gaming i'll need to put everything back again....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't believe that Intel are ignoring this thread or the issues reported here. I currently have an open case with Intel and they have assured me that I will get an answer both on this forum and directly. If they are taking time to reply it's probably because the solution is complex and requires proper investigation and testing.

The issue, as we have already discussed, is not that the spikes exist, but that they are so high (30-40C) and also that the CPUs are running much too hot in many cases. It's also clear from this forum and from many other reports that delidding makes a very substantial difference, so it is not at all unreasonable for us to think that the heat transfer solution is not adequate in all cases, and defective in some.

I'm personally not about to give up and accept the status quo.

Cheers

Robert

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

I agree that the solution may be not that simple to be found.

I have recieved a similar answer, that they are working....

But it would be great to recieve some update on how they are doing.

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

If this is the answer, then why Intel haven't post it yet? We are waiting for an official answer/solution too much now. Anyway, for me this isn't still a valid answer; Intel shouldn't put on public market a CPU that doesn't work with actual cooling system/Mobos/Bios without previewing it. Also, if the max. is 100C, for me it's not normal that 'light internet browse' reaches 75C only clicking on a link, or normal playing reaches 90C, WITHOUT OVERCLOCK. I want to remember that we bought a more expensive K processor for this feature.

ASušt
New Contributor I

Did everyone noticed an announcement at the top of the Support community/Processors page ?

Объявление:Regarding 7700k temp spikes
  • /community/tech/processors Скрыть подробности

автор: MTaylor (12 апреля 2017 г.)

We are investigating reports of temp spikes on the 7700k and have appreciated your input on it. We will provide an update when we have new information. Thanks,

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

It's from 12.04 so already a week old.

Guess we are not been ignored!

0 Kudos
JColl10
Beginner

Hello everyone. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one concerned by this issue, and good to see that people are still actively posting in this thread.

I replaced my 5820K after my X99 motherboard died recently. I bought an ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 1 and a 7700K. Reused the same NH-D15 cooler, this time with 2 Fans instead of one. I noticed that at idle, the 7700K sits happily at 32-35 degrees with ambient room temperatures around 22 degrees. However under load, the temperature jumps are erratic. It only seems to stabilize under constant load like gaming, at which point it's around 67 degrees according to CAM. My fans also ramp up and down with temperature spikes when opening the browser for example which is inconvenient.

What boggles my mind is that, the 5820K which is a power hungry CPU, had the same temperatures when overclocked to 4GHz and with only one fan on the cooler controlled manually by Speedfan (and usually at 65% duty cycle). But did not spike under normal usage like opening a program. The temperature changes were gradual, predictable.

I have run both softwares and have attached the results to this post, hopefully this can help further. For the purpose of full disclosure, the CPU is overclocked by XMP and the ASUS Bios settings. The core is set to 4.6GHz and the CPU voltage is regulated by the motherboard. The RAM speed is set to 2666MHz as per the XMP Profile. The motherboard BIOS is set to the "Optimal Performance" preset and the fans have been calibrated by the motherboard itself. I ran various stress tests from normal gaming to synthetic such as AIDA64, Intel XTU, and the CPU-Z benchmark. All return various results, so I can't really get consistent results and thus average temps with HWMonitor.

I must say however, that despite this, the thing performs really well, and the boot up time is much faster than on my X99 platform, which I like. Not to mention it doesn't draw as much power.

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

I have ASUS Z170 Gaming Pro with i7 7700K. After running linpack my temperatures immidiatelly grow up to 95C and than 99C!!! Nothing overclocked. I use latest BIOS with default settings. Cooler is also 100% OK. My previous processor was i5 6400. I never saw temperatures higher than 58C even after 10 hours of linpack!!!

Many "thanks" to you Intel. Totally disappointed with mine new processor. I even think i'll try to sold it or try return it back to shop where i bought it.

P.S. Its last processor I bought from Intel! After sell my M/B and this HORRIBLE i7 7700K I'll buy Ryzen.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Do you mind to tell me what Cooler are you using?

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

Thermalright True Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A, but as I said before I used different Intel CPUs with that cooler. No issues at all! So its pure i7 7700K issue.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I don't know that cooler so i can't comment, all what i can say is that don't compare the 7700K with a i5 6400.

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

This cooler and M/B was tested also with i7 6700. Maximum temperature after 10 hours of linpack is 74C.

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Ok but...

i7 6700 is not a K version so it will run stress tests slower than K version.

And considering the Intel data sheet on both processors, 74C on a i7 6700 it's terible and you were using the CPU above safe temps.

i7 6700K has a tcase max temp of 67C

It seems like that cooler is really that bad..

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

Please read WHAT IS tcase temp. And than look at 6700 normal temperatures on for example this processor reviews. This cooler is overkill for 6700 and 6700K. Typical 6700 temp in linpack is ~83C on near any air cooler.

Anyway we talk about i7 7700K... and mine and lot of people cases definely processor issue. Not m/b and not cooler issue.

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

I know what tcase is. you should have in mind the small difference between tcase and tjunction temps.

And you also should think about the tests you are runnin and if they are using avx instructions on floating point VS the power drawn to the CPU.

In my case, using a cooler master evo 212 I can run those test under 80C by reducing voltages and using avx negative offset. I'm not sure but I think the 6700(non K) runs avx instructions with negative offset by default.

So, even if the turbo boost reaches 4Ghz, probably you were running these tests at lower speeds, lower power and obviously, lower temps

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

> In my case, using a cooler master evo 212 I can run those test under 80C

In my case its 74C on 6700 without any tune up at BIOS. Everything by default.

> the small difference between tcase and tjunction temps

> I'm not sure but I think the 6700(non K) runs avx instructions with negative offset by default.

Your assumptions are really funny.

General issue with i7 7700K is temperature 99C in first seconds of test and than it show 97 - 99C. On other side I did not notice any throttling. Anyway for >$400 processor it just unacceptable. I finally back it to shop where I bought it due to their money back policy.

P.S. Thanks Intel. It was good time with you before Kaby Lake out. New processors is absollute crap. I will not use PC with such temps. So my next CPU will be Ryzen, even if it has less performance (in games).

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Maybe you mounted the Cooler wrong or maybe you are not using a good thermal paste?

Btw, this is the reason why i don't use Air coolers or AIO.

0 Kudos
AKoch8
Novice

> Maybe you mounted the Cooler wrong or maybe you are not using a good thermal paste?

Yes, after 20 years of professional PC building I mounted cooler wrong or not use good thermal paste. LOL :-D I would be happy if it was so... but no. I retry with Arcric Cooling MX4, with Gelead Extreme Pro... cooler also was mounted correctly. No result.

As I said before. Its pure processor issue. I will not recommend Intel to people more. Intel is dead after Z170 at least for me.

More interesting. I bough processor after I read that topic first. I thought may be I will avoid that issue somehow. No. I hate self for not listening people in that thread. Thanks gods shop back money for that crap without any issues.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

Sorry but i can't read minds and you never said before that you are a PRO PC builder, the funny thing and not offense is how you been a PRO you use such a Cooler for an i7 7700K? C'mon you as PRO should know very well that a 7700K runs hot an for sure not such a Cooler like your will keep the temps low.

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Their you go PRO builder... this video shows what I mean, my funny assumptions... A i7 6700 passing 70C running prime95

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47NL1IfS0o8 Intel Core i7 6700 CPU Temperature Heat Stress and Torture Test - YouTube

you can see clearly that, when testing a small FFT, the max frequency is 3.3Ghz and the power is really low compared with th K version specialy th 7700k that runs faster.

I think maybe you should have kept with the non K versions... If you are not willing to tweak it.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I think maybe you should have kept with the non K versions... If you are not willing to tweak it.

Exactly.

I don't understand why people buy a K version if they will run it at stock, it doesn't makes any sense.

It looks like i am the only one in this Forum who is more than happy with a 7700K?

0 Kudos