Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14698 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
SAlle5
Beginner

I have same problem to with fluctuations in temps

and mine is water cooled with separate radiator for GPU and CPU and about 10 cooling fans

over kill I know but it's the only way to keep mine sort of cool at ideal and at stock

knew I should have waited for ryzan but went with Intel as thought they were the leaders and good at what they did but now I have an extra heater in my house lol

the problem is I use my system for after effects and 3d design now checking temp uses up all my time instead of being creative.

Please Intel sort this out..

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

over kill I know but it's the only way to keep mine sort of cool at ideal and at stock

how cool it runs the CPU and radiator size?

0 Kudos
SAlle5
Beginner

EK Cool stream pe 360 triple is what I'm using 200ml

And I'm getting strange fluctuations it seems to jump quickly and high from 40 on boot to 65 then back down to 29 then jumping back up to 65 when I have even made sure everything is turned of on start up it just seems strange to me. I've even gone through the hole water loop re seated block still no change.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see a lot of OCCT runs here; is that when they are spiking? Because that tool is outdated and indeed causes spikes; it's designed to do this and thus not a good indicator. Also Prime shouldn't be used, it doesn't fit in modern CPU environments and stresses modern chips way, way more than it should and this causes issues. Try Asus ROG real bench, cinebench etc.

AKoch8
Novice

TheF34RChannel написал(а):

I see a lot of OCCT runs here; is that when they are spiking? Because that tool is outdated and indeed causes spikes

I like how you said "indeed" there... stop please talk nonsense. Indeed... yes. Its outdates and this is why it cause temp spikes. Its funny. Btw tested mine new Ryzen 1700 with OCCT also. No spikes at all

AKoch8
Novice

I sold mine Intel Core i7 7700K and bought Ryzen 1700. I'm absoluttely happy with mine new CPU. No temperature spikes at all! Maximum temperature after 48 hours stress testing (Prime95 29.1.14) on box cooler is 58C (ON BOX COOLER CARL!). Temperatures very smoothly grow up when CPU load at 100% and smoothly fals down when 0% (SMOOTHLY INTEL! ).

Thanks everybody who try to help in that thread. I hope you'll get some answer from Intel guys.

P.S. Bye bye Intel, i'll never buy CPUs from you again. NEVER!

JSanc25
Novice

Lucky you, unfortunately I don't have the funds to do the same . However, I can tell you that from now on I'm buying AMD, I don't care what anyone says about them anymore.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I can't say that the 7700K will be my last Intel CPU, i have always bought Intel CPUs, l've never had an AMD CPU and i won't never buy one, i just hope that Intel's next CPUs will be better.

0 Kudos
WMccl1
Beginner

Bought the 7700k to replace my 2500k 2 days ago, if replacing the thermal paste and setting a lower voltage doesn't give me reasonable temps I will be returning it Monday and looking elsewhere. Totally unacceptable response from Intel, I feel sorry for those out of their return period.

Spiking from 30c to 60+ when opening a browser, Spotify or Steam? No thankyou Intel.

idata
Employee

The behavior observed by many users of modern Intel processors which has been reported in this thread is due to the design of the processors in question.

What you are seeing is Intel's "Turbo" technology at work. These processors are designed to quickly ramp up and down in terms of clock speed and voltage in order to complete a given task as quickly as possible. This adheres to a theory in CPU design which states that the quicker a task is done, the quicker you can get back to a lower power state (or even idle) thus reducing overall power consumption. Another way to look at this is the less time you spend at or near the CPU's maximum power state the less power will be utilized. Were an Intel engineer responding to this thread, this is what they would tell you.

Regarding theories as to further causes of this issue, I can attest to the fact that all modern Intel chips which feature Turbo technology exhibit this behavior, including those which have soldered IHS. I am typing this message on a machine featuring a 5820k. If I open up a new program (say Firefox) and monitor temperatures via Core Temp, I can observe the temperatures on the individual cores. At idle (as I type this message) these are in the low-mid 30s C. Once I open Firefox, they spike from a maximum of 42 prior to beginning this new task, to 52 within only a second of opening the program. The temps quickly settle back down to their idle lows in the low-mid 30s though. As you can see, these temperature spikes are simply that, momentary increases.

That being said, the delta in temperature from idle to peak is greater on a non-soldered IHS CPU, such as the 7700k. I happen to have a 7700k running @ 5.2GHz which has been de-lidded and runs under a custom water loop. The variation in temperature even after de-lidding is greater than the 5820k running @ 4.4GHz also under custom water. Given the same test conditions idle temps on my 7700k are also in the low-mid 30s, though spikes bring this up to the mid 40s with only background tasks operating. Once I open Firefox, the maximum temp jumps to 61C on the hottest core. So the peak temp is higher, and the delta is higher. That tells me the Kaby Lake chip is producing more instantaneous heat and that the heat is harder to evacuate from the CPU die than it is on the Haswell-E chip.

As for the issues some have reported regarding fan speeds changing frequently, producing an undesired audible result, this can be resolved in a number of ways:

1) create a fan profile in your motherboard's UEFI which adjusts fan speed in a more gradual fashion, or even run a fixed fan speed

2) if your motherboard does not provide enough granularity to fully resolve the fan speed issue to your liking, you can make use of a 3rd party fan controller such as the NZXT Grid - this is the model I use in most of my builds

3) running the processor at a constant speed (i.e. disabling both Turbo and power saving measures) should eliminate these spikes in temperature, though it can affect the life your CPU so do this at your own risk

Disclaimer: I don't work for Intel and do not speak for them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This whole situation is just ridiculous.

The processor is ADVERTISED with overclocking functionality. Whatever, I don't even care about overlocking. The CPU hits crazy temps under unrealistic l loads due the the low quality thermal paste, whatever don't care. It's normal for the processor to ramp in clock speeds, whatever cool.

But the fans ramping up and down every 1-3 seconds under no/low usage is unacceptable. There is no fix in my UFEI and I'm not about to buy a fan controller and use them at undesirable speeds just because Intel can't release a fix for their poor optimization.

Seems like a sensor issue to me. It's not physically possible for my CPU to heat 20C and cool down 20C in the span of a half second, so it seems like we have a real issue here. Can anyone correct me that this is normal behavior?

Judging by the 89015 views this thread has I'm guessing this is a real issue that needs to be addressed with a FIX not a statement. If the final statement is simply get used to your fan RPM rapidly changing every second then of course my 7700k will be going back to newegg....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have the same motherboard as you, @rj42 . The UEFI does not provide enough granularity to resolve the fan ramp issue unless you want to run your fans full-on all the time. You only get 3 adjustment points when designing your fan speed curve, and at 75C there is a mandatory increase to 100% fan speed. The fault here lies in the design of the UEFI.

Suggested solutions:

1) talk to Asus engineering/support and see if they can provide a UEFI update which removes the mandatory fan RPM increase to 100% beyond 75C core temp

2) get a fan controller

3) get better cooling so that your core temp never increases beyond 75C

4) stop running tasks that spike your CPU core temps above 75C

Below 75C you have control over the behavior of your fans, so you can create a fan curve which keeps the fan RPMS low right up until this threshold. As long as your CPU temp never exceeds 75C you won't see this behavior.

0 Kudos
DFara
Beginner

On my ASUS mobo it's almost the exact same story with the q fan control, however I just noticed that you can have the fans top at whatever %RPM you want at 75 degrees, the graph is misleading. In my case I just pull the pointer right to 75C and it will top at whatever RPM setting you leave it on, it won't make the jump to 100%.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

lymecore Are you sure of this behavior? When I adjusted the fan speed curve manually in Q Fan control on my Z270E, the final adjustment point had a cap @ 75C. This value can be set wherever one likes (within valid parameters) but @ 75C and above the UEFI mandates the fan be set to 100% RPM.

0 Kudos
AElib
Novice

I have 5 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM, in the bios ( Q Fan control ) i set all 5 to run in DC Mode instead PWM Mode what it means they run constantly at 1200rpm, doing so you dont see the fans jumping because they run at a constant speed.

0 Kudos
AS19
Beginner

@techguymaxc

That is all well, but you are missing one thing. The spikes happen all the time. Also when the chip is idle. Does this look to you like a "normal behaviour"? This is its behaviour at idle, ie no tasks were preformed at the time at all.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ADRBL2 Look again at the graphs you've shown. The CPU usage graph line would need to be completely flat (yellow line overlapping the green line) in order for your statements regarding a lack of background tasks to be accurate. You may not be giving the system any input during this time, but there are tasks being executed by the Operating System and apparently they are sufficient to cause the temperature spikes. I suspect you are running Windows 10. If this is the case, there are so many background tasks which could be run during "idle" periods and little user control over these tasks. An older O.S. would have far fewer tasks to execute during these periods so you would be less likely to observe this behavior on say Windows XP. Applications may contribute to this behavior as well.

Note: I am not saying to nuke Windows 10 and install Windows XP, just exploring the topic further.

All my systems exhibit the same behavior, for the record. It just doesn't create the undesired side effect of constant fan RPM changes since I manually control all my fans.

0 Kudos
AS19
Beginner

In modern PC's the graph is never flat. There are always background tasks, BUT there were no user tasks at all. You claim, it's normal for the CPU temp to spike 30C when opening a browser for example. I showed you that the spikes happen even with no user tasks preformed. I really don't think this is "normal behaviour". In fact this is a very undesired bahaviour and who knows what kind of negative effect does this all have on the chip's life.

I come from an older chip (i7 860) and there were no spikes there at all. The temp would gradually build under load, and then gradually fall after.

What's more, I could understand if the spikes were 5 or even 10C, it would still be strange and unwanted bahaviour, but 30 degrees C spikes under a 1% CPU load? No way. I will be keeping a close eye on Ryzen chips, I hope they do well, because most likely, this will be my last Intel chip for a while.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

I literally just put together a budget 1500x build for a friend last weekend. I can tell you without a doubt that Ryzen also has spikes when anything requiring cpu power requests it.

It isn't as huge a jump due to the fact ryzen runs cooler and has a lower thermal limit, but it was jumping from low 30s to the 45-55C range and back down.

0 Kudos
CCapt
Novice

@ TGrable,

I wrote a rather lengthy post requiring some effort, to which I had hoped you would offer comment. I'm sure you missed it ... it's on page 40. Please give it a read.

Thanks,

CompuTronix

0 Kudos
AS19
Beginner

I see no spikes mentioned in any of the reviews. Care to post a screenshot?

How can a 1% jump in CPU load (from 0 to 1% for example, or 1 to 2%) can cause a 30C jump in temperature on 7700K? It's either temperature reporting that is broken, or the chip itself. Whatever it is, I very much doubt it can be called as "normal behaviour".

I would have no problem with that, if I was warned beforehand. Why Intel does not advertise that you will see 30 degree spikes while doing nothing. Also why do they have a cheek of charging extra for the "K" chip with unlocked multiplier and then telling people not to overclock it.
0 Kudos