Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14795 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
ARoss4
Novice

So set a lower voltage and see what happens. Stop when you read 1.230v as max on full load on HWMonitor.

0 Kudos
JMano2
Beginner

Okay ill mess with is, and that reading is from the motherboard cpu vcore ( top circled), not the 7700k one that I have circled in the bottom in the previous picture, correct?

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

One reading is from motherboard, the other is from CPU. Read it from CPU, but is almost the same.

0 Kudos
JMano2
Beginner

hmmm, I'm stumped. I adjusted the cpu core volt to 1.190 and the computer wouldn't turn on, so I had to reset the bios to default and typed all the settings the way I had it before, but overall im super pumped with the results ive got and thanks a ton for the help. This one is just suborn i guess lol

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Hi Xavit,

I have seen many chips and have seen this issue on a good few forums since the introduction of the skylake line. This issue has been on going on both platforms since they were released. The thing is depending on the chip most do not notice them and why would they? There cpu is running just fine and if they do not get the fan ramp then they would have no indication outside of running software to watch for it. The ones of us that HAVE seen it are normally enthusiasts looking to push our cpus to a higher limit or ones that are having the fan speed jump up and down.

Also remember the 'K' designated chips are a very small portion of the skylake and kabylake chips that are in most systems. Then of those systems an even smaller amount would know to look for this issue and/or be concerned over fan ramping. This issue is also much less visible on skylake chips and non-'k' designated chips due to the lower operating temps of these chips. The 7700k stands out so much because of the various issues that affect the temps in a negative way. So when your chip runs hot due to a bad hit transfer the shift in temps are really visible. Lets say I am running an i3 it would have the spikes, but since the idle temp for this chip is say 28C and the max temp for it is 45-50C.. that means that the spikes would be in the 38-40 range so while they do jump this doesn't stand out as alarming. Now when we look at a I7 7700k that idles at the same 28c, but temps reach 80C under a full load that same spike would jump in the 55-65C range which DOES stand out.

Then you have some of these golden 7700k's running around with very good temps and the spikes on them are also much less noticeable. I mean if you take almost any chip and have it shift from an idle state to a full speed state you will see a big temp jump.. this is normal. The problem is the 7700k just has a higher operating temp than most chips due to the reasons previously mentioned and that makes these spikes stand out.

Now going off all of that I am running a 7700k on custom water that has been delidded. My idle temps are generally 26-28C and my max load temp at 4.5ghz is around 45c. So for me those spikes are very minimal and don't really stand out anymore.. I would say the spikes for me would be 35-38C (haven't checked stock jumps in a good while).

Anyways if you have any additional information I would love to see it. I am not saying there isn't the possibility of me being wrong in some ways, but I have seen this issue long enough and been around long enough I am pretty confident in my stance.

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

Intel is "investigating" from many months, but we in just a week have founded TIM issue and voltage issue and we have fixed issues with our hands.

So there are two possibility:

1) Intel should dismiss their engeneers and pay us for this investigation next time.

2) Intel is making fun of us because if they admit issues they have to RMA a lot of users, and then they will loose money.

I'll let you choose.

0 Kudos
RBurk1
Beginner

I recently purchased a system with the i7 7700K processor - ignorantly. The price was right and I assumed the bugs had been worked out by now - otherwise why would it still be on the market? My system is a budget rig, air cooled, made for me by PortaTech (no warnings from them). I noticed on day one that under a load the temp jumped to 94C. (Load meaning 5 minutes of Mass Effect Andromeda) I put in two more fans and got the temps down to 85-90. Finally I disabled hyper threading and the temps have steadied out at 75 - 78C. From what I have read INTEL just feels the temps are fine and simply don't overclock a processor whose sole purpose was to be overclocked. Otherwise why unlock it... I did not overclock. My temps were stock all the way.

I have narrowed the problem down to Hyper threading and I am not a computer tech. Just a user that appreciates a machine behaving and lasting a while. At temps in the 90sC I can't imagine this MOB processor combo lasting very long.

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Guys, a little help pls!

Can't find this CPU PLL OC voltage thing. Where is it? Asus maximus ix MOBO.

rbudden

That's the strategy. Nowadays everything is made to last the warranty period.

0 Kudos
MKans2
Beginner

I, for the love of god, cant seem to find this CPU PLL OC voltage setting aswell.. Im on an Asus Z270G motherboard. I found an Internal PLL setting, but I've read thats a whole other thing.

Anybody who have had some luck finding it on this mobo?

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

On Asus motherboards, it may be called PLL Bandwidth.

0 Kudos
MKans2
Beginner

Not even that am I able to find... can it really be true that such a high end mobo as this doesn't have CPU PLL settings? :O

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

I suggest you should open a thread on Asus forum asking for that. Everything is possible with motherboards producers, we are in an orwellian situation: a issue became a feature! They change vocabulary without any kind of accurate documentation: CPU PLL OC, PLL Bandwidth, PLL termination.. what's next?

0 Kudos
JMano2
Beginner

It makes the world of difference, idle temps I am in the 25-30 range, previously I would hit 60 on a spike and idle around 40. Gaming barely hits 60 now and it would easily reach mid 80's to low 90's.

I ran prim95 for 15 mins and I guess some people don't like that one cause its not even a real test in terms it's way over what any game or program will stress your system, the highest it got was 82. I played games on it and it the max it got was low 60's. So far this is stable for me

0 Kudos
JMcIl
Beginner

Hi all,

I just built a new machine yesterday - i7-7700k, Cryorig H7, Gigabyte Z270-HD3P, 32Gb Corsair DD4 running 3000 via XMP. I'm running stock - no overclocking at all (the increased basic clock speed of the K series over non-K is enough for me - for now, at least).

I was on the verge of blaming my CPU fan for the constant spinning up and spinning down, before finding this discussion - and subsequently running hardware monitor does show significant core temperature spikes - around 20 degrees or more, up from the idle temp of around 33deg. This, I have to assume, is what's causing the fan to spin up and down so furiously. Which is driving me nuts.

I'm just wondering - has anyone experience of adjusting the setting required to get rid of the spikes in a Gigabyte BIOS? I'm a novice when it comes to dealing with CPU voltages etc in a BIOS, so any basic assistance would be greatly appreciated. I don't doubt the i7-7700k is a grunty CPU - ideal for what it'll ultimately end up doing on my machine, which is a lot of video encoding - but hearing the fan going into overdrive for a second every time I scroll down a webpage is unbelievably annoying...

Hope someone can help. And thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

John

0 Kudos
ARoss4
Novice

To fix spikes goes on bios and set right voltages as we sayd above. First of all CPU PLL OC at 1.080.

To fix only FAN spinning up and down, goes on bios or use a more user friendly tools like Gigabyte APP CENTER (you use a gigabyte motherboard) to adjust your FAN curve as you like.

Look at this video for how to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_1Lk-FPCxY Gigabyte APP CENTER - Smart Fan 5 overview - YouTube

0 Kudos
JMcIl
Beginner

Thanks Andrew. My belief is that the fan spinning up and down is related to the spikes - so if I can get rid of the spikes, I should be able to choose a sensible profile in Smart Fan 5 to keep the CPU fan steady...

I'll look for CPU PLL OC in the Gigabyte BIOS and report back here; someone else may find it useful if I'm able to describe what I've been doing.

Regards to all,

John
0 Kudos
JMcIl
Beginner

Okay, confused as hell here now. I've left my machine as is and run a Prime95 test. Here's how HWMonitor recorded proceedings....

As you can see, the voltage - even during a Prime95 test - never went above 1.257v. The max processor speed confuses me slightly, because it says it was 4503Mhz, although the CPU is running in stock mode so shouldn't that be 4200Mhz?

As I type this, my CPU is idling at 34-35deg C (93F), which seems okay to me. And that max temperature of just over 180F (83C) isn't bad for an i7-7700k running an air cooler, correct?

Assuming all of this is roughly in order, then, the only thing I really want to solve is the spikes, which cause the fan to kick in if I scroll down a webpage or such like. There are a LOT of 'Auto' settings in the Gigabyte BIOS when it comes to CPU voltages and not all of the descriptions tally with what's been discussed here previously. There is no adaptive mode, for example - only 'Auto' or 'Normal'.

Nor, crucially, is there a CPU PLL OC figure that you can adjust to something like 1.050. Instead (I think) there is a 'CPU Core PLL Overvoltage' setting which claims to be in +mV and goes up in increments of 15. Is that what I should be adjusting to help prevent the spikes? It is currently set to Auto.

Hoping we can find out so other relative notice Gigabyte users like myself can benefit.

Thanks again in advance for any assistance or views.

Kind regards,

John

0 Kudos
DA1
Beginner

As I type this, my CPU is idling at 34-35deg C (93F), which seems okay to me. And that max temperature of just over 180F (83C) isn't bad for an i7-7700k running an air cooler, correct?

Prime95 is much less heavy that Linx 0.7.0 (version number is important, old 0.6.5 no so heavy).

I have:

66-68'C in Linx,

54-55 in IETU

55-57 in Prime95.

At the same ambient. Cooler is Notua NH-D15s. But my CPU is delidded with liquid metal under IHS. Delid lowers my temps about 18-20'C on full load (cooler is the same). Temp graph in IETU now horizontal line, not a triangle curve with 15'C spreads.

First of all try to lowering vCore. It's has very high influence to temperature. Try to set override value, not auto/adaptive. Your CPU may be stable at 1.22 and even less. This can lower temp up to 10-15'C without delid.

0 Kudos
JMcIl
Beginner

Thanks DmitryA. I'll have a look at vCore. I think I can adjust that through the Gigabyte EasyTune app, in fact (screen grab below).

Am I right to be confused on the clock speeds? If you look at the Frequency section of the EasyTune window, all four active cores appear to be set to 45 - which I presume means 4.5Ghz, not 4.2Ghz which is the stated clock speed of the CPU. And no, I've never touched that setting...

0 Kudos
MKans2
Beginner

Okay I was actually able to bring the temps down by around 15 degrees by applying some Liquid Metal paste between the die and the IHS - and ohh boy was it messy! I thought I screwed it up for good a moment I tweaked a few settings in the asus z270g bios aswell. Overclocked the cpu to 4.600mhz, disabled SVID support(to make sure it wasnt giving more voltage than what I set it to in the on the core voltage setting), set the core voltage to 1.220 and LLC to 2.

After 30 minutes of AIDA64 max temps are at 65 degrees.

The funny thing is that it'll still spike up to around 55-60 in seconds from time to time, but as long as it stays under 75-80 I wont worry too much

Im using NZXT Kraken X62 as the cooler and I've put a custom fan profile to change the fanspeed accordingly to the liquid degrees - that way I wont have any problems with the fan spinning on and off. Pump speed is at max as its barely noticeable anyway.

0 Kudos
DA1
Beginner

According to Intel specs only one core can boost to 4.5, others to 4.4 (or even less).

But most mobo vendors have 'all cores' option, that boosting all cores to max 4.5 freq.

I not see voltage control type options on your sshot. Try to enter UEFI, nor windows app. And change it directly. Look at CPU VID. Your manual voltage must be more than VID. I think +0.2..+0.5 is okay. For my example VID is 1.184, manual voltage i set to 1.22. Memory i overclocked to 3000 (from 2400). On voltage 1.20 windows and games runs OK, but tests raise errors.

Set 'override' for example 1.25 (or less) vCore. Then lower it with tesing for stability. Leave min voltage you found.

0 Kudos