Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14677 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
idata
Employee

The newer versions of Prime95 use AVX instructions.

This may explain the much higher temps when using Prime95.

Since fixing the voltage problem (caused by the default BIOS settings!!!!), even Prime95 with AVX only runs the CPU to the maximum of 65 C. I still get the spikes, but these spikes never reach the temperatures they did previously.

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Hi!

now that's something I dont understand. I've already setup all de voltages, I've tried everything, I can get lower temperatures but run prie95 small fft test under 65C? that is simply impossible for me even at stock speeds.

I understand that AVX it's hard on the CPU but how can I get low temperatures on non avx instructions, and 80C on prime95 avx instructions and other people with the same temperatures on non-avx can get uder 65C running avx on prime95?

This is getting really confusing for me because if I get the same or even lower temperatures, than why avx makes diference on my cpu? Wich version are you using? I know that after version 26.6 I think, prime95 started using avx instructions that cause higher temps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OverDriver_PT83 wrote:

Hi!

now that's something I dont understand. I've already setup all de voltages, I've tried everything, I can get lower temperatures but run prie95 small fft test under 65C? that is simply impossible for me even at stock speeds.

I understand that AVX it's ******* the CPU but how can I get low temperatures on non avx instructions, and 80C on prime95 avx instructions and other people with the same temperatures on non-avx can get uder 65C running avx on prime95?

This is getting really confusing for me because if I get the same or even lower temperatures, than why avx makes diference on my cpu? Wich version are you using? I know that after version 26.6 I think, prime95 started using avx instructions that cause higher temps.

I've been using the latest version of Prime95.

You may have a different processor, cooling, motherboard etc to me. Mine is an i7 6700k with a Corsair H75 AIO water cooler. The default BIOS settings on my Asus Maximus Gene VIII were causing the processor to run hot and fail Prime95 when XMP was enabled. I changed the BIOS settings: SVID to enabled and CPU voltage to "adaptive", since then my problems are gone, even with XMP enabled.

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Well your build is very different from mine, specialy because you are using liquid cooling and im on air cooling.

anyway, I'm going to open a new thread regarding this issues. I'm a bit off topic now, since this thread is about temperature spikes and I'm now having a battle with temperatures while running avx instructions.

I'm bugging everyone with unrelated questions and turning this thread all about OC and overheating.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

As much as I hate to say this... the problem is your H212. It was a fine cooler and is still a decent cooler. The problem is at your stock voltages it should be fine, but at the temps you will generate on this chip at the voltages needed for overclocks... it will not stand up.

So I am sure you know there is a maximum amount of heat energy (watts) any given heat sink can dissipate. This is determined by lots of factors : Surface area, element types (heat pipe/radiator/etc), Fan speed/cfm of air flow, ambient temp.

So if you are running stock or even a 100mhz overclock I would say the h212 would have been fine, but to go any higher you will need to think on getting a better cooling solution. There are better options even in the 30ish range of the H212.

These chips are hot. Smaller footprint, but high wattage = higher temps. So you need a cooling options than can supply the extra dissipation needed.

According to a decent watt calculator commonly used by water cooling enthusiasts to discover how much rad space they need..

A 7700k at 4.85 Ghz pushing 1.3Vcore could generate around 192watts of heat. The h212 Evo for example lists (depending on where you look) it's TDP anywhere from 140-180. TDP being the maximum watts of heat it can dissipate.

For reference a STOCK 7700k at 4.5ghz at 1.2vcore produces between 155-162 watts of heat.

So it is under what the h212 can dissipate, while a overclock pushes is over. Once you go over the heat sink will not be able to keep up and temps will rise to unsafe levels.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Intel,

I've seen a lot of people here reporting the same problem as I have, the temperature spikes.

I also see that the first reports of it are from months ago.

Isn't it time to give us some solutions?

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Thanks man.

Now that's the kind of answer I was looking for.. That sounds resonable.

I might not being pushing the CPU to 192W but running AVX instructions it goes near 130W. So, that makes perfect sense, the cooler might be the reason for higher temperatures at full load only. Not that it's badly placed or something similar because in that case I wouldnt be able to have such low temps at idle.

Airflow seems to be perfect. Reading case temperatures under 20C.

Thank you. I will balance my OC by now and think about a cooler upgrade in a near future.

Meanwhile I'll keep my settings at 1.23V / 4.7GHZ With an AVX offset of 3 for safe temps under AVX load.

Regards!

0 Kudos
RG9
Beginner

Delidding is the only way to go at this point, never seen 60-70C spikes surfing the web again. The temps are tighter and the fluctuations seemed more like normal, idles at 30-35C and spikes to only +10C a lot less often as well.

I can now run my case fans and AIO fans on normal setting. Games average about 55C and low 60s in Cinebench with everything at default in BIOS except for XMP. Also was able to achieve 5.2GHz @ 1.392V, 85C in Cinebench.

Intel Core i7-7700K

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120

Asus ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 CL15

Intel 600p 512GB M.2-2280, WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE

Fractal Design Define Nano S

EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850W

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

0 Kudos
cmack2
Novice

why are we mucking around guys?

just de-lid & get liquid nitrogen cooling loop...

the 7700K will still 'temp spike' - it is an INTEL feature!

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

"a bit" sarcastic, but let my cpu stops spiking if you are wrong.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, same here with spiking from 36C to 80+C on AIDA64 stress testing. No thermal throttling.

Like everyone else I WANT and REQUIRE a response from Intel. It is unacceptable that there is nothing back from Intel to this issue. This is after all the Intel Communities forum.

TGrab1
New Contributor III

So I decided to give this a try on my pc. I have a delidded 7700k running at 4.9ghz for this temp testing (daily driver can run 5.1ghz under 75c if needed on p95)

Anyways I too see the spikes, but I honestly feel they are just related to load. Anytime you see the temp spikes you will also see usage of the cpu even if minor. I just think this has to do with the aggressive under and over-volting the cpu does in its various states.

So I ran idle for a few minutes while reading this thread. I then Ran about 3-5 minutes of stress testing, then finished with another minute or so of idle time. Here is the graph and statistics for that period.

Also my room ambient temp is about 25c. This is on a custom water cooling setup, temps before the delid would have been in the 72+range easy at STOCK clocks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ... delidding definitely seems to be the way to go with these chips. Which delidder did you use? (and did your blood pressure go to boiling point while you were doing it? ).

I take it that doing this would void the Intel warranty (I bought $30 the Intel overclocking warranty before overclocking).

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
MMust10
Beginner

Still no response from Intel regarding this, very disappointing. I've been trying to look up fixes and troubleshoot this shit the best i can.

My Build:

Processor Model : Kaby Lake i7-7700k

Motherboard : Gigabyte z270x Ultra Gaming

Bios Version : F4

Ram : Corsair Vengeance 16gb(2x8gb) 3200mhz

GPU : Gigabyte Gtx 970 G1 Gaming

Cooling : Corsair H45

PSU : Thermaltake TR-2 700 watt Gold

I'm currently running 30-34 Degrees at idle of-course with the spikes every 30 secs or so reaching upwards of 40-42 degrees, with Max temps reaching 65 playing the Witcher 3 at 1080p Ultra and Overwatch plus a few other games. Stress Tests show max temps of 68-69 barely hitting 70. While this is somewhat bearable, I can't see any option to Overclock anytime soon unless i go ahead and Delid this and apply Liquid metal etc etc I'm running at stock 4.2 with Turbo boost enabled upto 4.5. Upon turning the system on the first time, my stock temps were at 1.368, yes this is when i booted it up for the first time and the temps were hitting the 80's and 90's. First thing i did was Load optimized Defaults, Then went to Advanced Core frequency settings and enabled "Voltage Optimization", Manually set Vcore to 1.180, Changed the XMP profile to Profile1, I have speedstep enabled, it makes literally no difference with the spikes, they still happen regardless. I've learned to live with the spikes for now, and there don't seem to be any performance issues so far, I'll be changing the cooler and possibly delidding in the future if intel don't come up with a solution for this. So yeah, for me these temps and somewhat bearable and hopefully this'll help someone else out.

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

TBH, the spikes aren't THAT alarming. This CPU doesn't even throttle until 100c. As for temps I wouldn't think anything under 80c is bad temp wise for this series.

Now all that aside I do think there is a problem with some of the chips, but that has to do with the crappy TIM that was used between die and IHS and also the way the silicon adhesive was applied leading to an uneven IHS sitting on the DIE. So those two things can lead to higher than usual temps spikes from tiny changes in cpu usage. Before I delidded my temps would jump from 27-30C idle to over 72C the second I pressed a stress test button. Coming from a soldered sandybridge 2600k I immediately panic'd at the temps. I did my research since I was wanting to overclock this chip and didn't want to have stupid high temps.

After doing my research I decided to delid and use liquid metal. For stock speeds my temps dropped to about 45C under full stress test load. Which means I had a 25-30C drop in temp JUST from changing the TIM. As stated previously my 5.1ghz temps now are lower than my stock temps were before delid which is just a huge disappointment in the quality of thermal interface that went onto these chips.

Intel tried to cut corners and skimp on TIM yet again. Yet again they were caught red handed and it is the consumer who is having to deal with it.

We can only hope that going forward intel will ONLY use a solders or high performance TIM option. BTW the new 7750K that is coming out states it has a "NEW HIGHER QUALITY THERMAL INTERFACE!!"

0 Kudos
wm3
Beginner

I will add my build to the list with the same problems as many others in this thread.

Intel Core i7 7700k Kaby Lake

Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming K5 (bios ver. F4-02/10/2017)

Corsair Vengence 8x2 16GB DDR4 3200

Nvidia GTX 1070

Windows 10 64bit

Hyper EVO 212 Air Cooler

ThermalTake 750w GOLD

0 Kudos
MSpan
Beginner

I think one of the big issues for most here is how their fans go from low or silent to balls to the wall 100% then quickly back down. It gets very annoying as does just knowing that the CPU spikes like this. I set my curve manually in the bios on my MSI Titanium Z270 to not really spool up until 55 or 60. I have a ram fan running at about 40% constantly. That is the highest I can go without hearing it. The CPU fan connector is attached to my AIO water cooler with the same curve I set for my case fans but they will always run about 800rpm no matter what Can't really hear the fans at that level.

im running a safe, stable OC at 4.7 and see the idle in the low 30s and never over 65ish at full load while gaming etc. my ram is OC to 4200. I don't notice the spikes now at all because it doesn't spoil the fans up at all and I don't see a difference having it this way with the fan curve than I did with a more aggressive curve that was really annoying. Still spikes but it is so quick it doesn't even register

0 Kudos
TGrab1
New Contributor III

Yes, but most motherboards have a fan setting like asus fan IQ. You can set a ramp up/delay time. So if you are having spikes set a 8 second rampup time and a 5 second delay. So that your fans aren't instantly spinning up for each spike.. it would require a farely long spike then to actually cause them to start ramping up then they would ramp up slower and never need to max out.

So the fan issue can be solved via proper configuration in most cases.

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

I have tried to set the Delay Interval to maximum in my gigabyte refi, but still doesn't solve the problem.

Is there anyway to solve the noisy fan problem? Actually the spike problem is really nothing to me, but the fan noise that caused by the spike is really disturbing.

Can it solve by setting a fan curve?

Thanks

0 Kudos
LChow1
Beginner

seems that the "CPUID SVID SUPPORT" option is only available in Asus mb bios.

I am using gigabyte board, and didn't see this option

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Maybe only the description is different.. Try to search for the option below de Vcore manual voltage.. the one that overrides the manual control and sets the voltage through an external regulatormeaning, the motherboard.

In my Bios / uefi - I set the Vcore to the desired voltage, disable de cpuid svid support so that the CPU can set What I'm choosing.

0 Kudos