Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14786 Discussions

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?

CK7
Beginner

I have a brand new build; EVERYTHING NEW. i7-7700k is running at stock speeds. I have the RAM set to XMP for DDR4-2666. Motherboard is Asus Maximus IX Hero Z270.

I have found that the i7-7700k reports a momentary (a second or less) temperature spike +25 > 35 degrees Celsius anytime a program is opened, a webpage is opened, a background app runs etc. The temperature blip cascades through the cores in random order; not the same every time. This causes my heatsink fan to constantly cycle up and down. Temperatures otherwise report as steady, normal increases. Peak temperature under Prime95 blend test is 71 degrees Celsius.

Attempted solutions:

I have re-installed my heatsink and thermal paste with no change.

I have tried to manually set my fan speed in the bios. The only setting that avoids this issue is setting the temperature / fan at a constant (and loud) 80-100%. I've tried PWM and DC mode.

I have found a few user reports elsewhere on the web, all reasoning that it's just the way it is. I don't accept that. Opening a folder or browser should not spike temps +30 degrees. Not only is the fan cycling annoying, it puts undue stress on my fan; possibly shortening its lifespan.

What's the answer, if any? RMA?

1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer's manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called "de-lidding"). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

1,110 Replies
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Congrats on your twins, TGrable!

Mary Taylor

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

Thank you a lot to all, but specially to AndrewRossi, jonemac, krissu86pl, Dimitry and Lucky-Strike. I have Gigabyte mobo too, and I have got, at last, the best (not perfect, but I can live with) of possible solutions using your values (also after 'fixing' F7 bios update, that gave me another software issues...). Ops, and I don't want to forget my last message: f.ck you, Intel.

0 Kudos
GFasa
Beginner

I have the exact same problem and it has been stressing me right out. I own the 7740x <----- (i know I am a total idiot for buying it) so please do not call me out I already know it is a rip re-brand of a 7700k for more money. Anyways I have a brand new system that cost huge dollars Corsair 570x , i7 7740k <-- <span __jive_emoticon_name="sad" __jive_macro_name="emoticon" class="jive_emote jive_macro" data-renderedposition="29_545.3125_16_16" src="/8.0.3.1619a91/images/emoticons/sad.png"> I know , I know , 32 gig of DDR4 gskill, evga geforce 1080 sc, blah blah lot of other expensive stuff and my CPU is the only thing that scares me. I even went to water cooling which I have not done ever in my 15 years of building Intel based machines. This processor purchase was my biggest mistake ever as I was under the impression KabyLake was good and they had refined the chip and claimed better temps. Every time I check my temps they are different but mainly on idle I get jumps from 27 c - 61 c and under Intel Benchmark I get up to 83 c YIKES!. Any other chip I owned was consistent and trustworthy but this thing seems like a rush job with corners cut because of a stare down by AMD. I can not exchange my processor obviously because it had been opened so I will wait until this thing melts itself doing basic tasks and then switch to AMD until I grow old enough not to care anymore. Intel lost a 15 year cash leaking customer because of minor greed which to me makes no sense at all. Also to anyone caring about stocks here is some advise .... Intel is going to plummet through the ground soon and AMD will rise like a phoenix so if anyone wants to make some easy money invest in AMD NOW! This happens to all companies that get cocky then insult their biggest spenders with gimmicks like "X" series processors that have been neutered and even being hailed as "stand in chips" so you can upgrade to something good later, which is so insulting for 450$. Peace out forever Intel!

0 Kudos
LRibe2
Novice

Hi guys.

It has been a long time since the last time I've been here.

Just want everyone to know I just risked everything and exchanged my CM 212 evo for a Kraken X42 and dellided my chip.

My unit is not one of the best overclocker because it needs about 1.9vcore to stay stable @5ghz

Before:

4.7Ghz@1.28v - max temps of 77C and 80C while running AVX stress tets.

Now:

5Ghz@ 1.39v (adaptive) . ax temps 69C and 73C running avx stress tests.

If my chip was a litlle bit better and could maintain an 5Ghz OC under 1.35V I wouldnt need the AIO because after the delid and using the 212 evo temps were a bit high (85C max while running AVX) but Vcore is high on my chip.

So just want to say.. dont be affraid and delid those bastards. it's really worth it.

Cheers

PS: Tgrable, Congratulations on the Twins!! Wish you a happy family!

0 Kudos
ADa
Novice

My specs :

I7 7700k, GTX1080 gaming msi 8GB

MSI Z270 GAMING M7

I résolved it , before résolve i got 55° in idle and 79 with spike at degrees 98° , you need to replace thermal paste, now i got like

38° in idle

65° in game

And when Streaming 75°

Im at 4.6 ghz

2666 C15 for ram

XMP profil on

With dark rock 3 for air cooling

See you guys

Be happy with this processor he is awesome

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

65° in game

Is it core temp or CPU temp?

My core temp closes to 70c, CPU temp is ~10c lower with load.

Idle is pretty even.

0 Kudos
ADa
Novice

You are pretty fine, but idle you are good try to replace thermal paste in processeur , im 45° with 4.6 ghz in idle in core and CPU 45 /50 when Streaming im at 60 70 75° When gaming 60 65 , replace thermal paste MayBe bro

0 Kudos
ikoll
Beginner

Hi to all!

I`ve got a beautiful brandnew Imac 27inch with the 4.2(4.5) 7i processor.

Superfast

BUT

Even when scrolling through my Lightroom library the cpu temperatures jump up to 100 degrees.

On all four CPU`s.They return after I stop scrolling pretty fast, but I`ve never seen such temperature jumps before.

????

Apple support is not very helpful, as I do not have a problem with the performance...now.

And besides complaints that the fans are frequently spinning up and down,Apple had never such a complaint.

According to them.

I`ve carefully studied all the posts to the i7-7700K,

but deliding or building in another fan is no option on my AIO system.

Are these temperature really meant to be??? or do I have a faulty CPU?

Or should I try to get the i5-7600K?

Any comment appreciated!

0 Kudos
ADa
Novice

MY friends replace thermal paste wich cooler u got ? Il got dark rock 3 , just 3 /4mm thermal in Middle then watch for help to put the cooler . Dont deelid

ikoll
Beginner

Thanks a lot for your answer :-)

I am talking about a All in One Apple system (IMac) which I cannot simply open without loosing any warranty ;-)

I understood that the i7-7700K prozessor is superfast and superhot

but spinning temperatures up to 100(even just temprarilly) seems very strange to me?!

0 Kudos
ADa
Novice

Use your warranty and change it

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

You can check official Intel cpu i7-7700k specs: 100ºC is the max. safe temp (I guess would be the same if the computer is Pc or a Mac ). Obviously, is not a normal behaviour to reach the max. cpu temp doing standard desktop tasks, so, perhaps you will need to change bios values (lower cpu v), as all other Pc people here. Anyway, if you paid for a Mac, my oppinion is that Apple would must take care about this problem!

p.s.: is anybody still doubting about if is a cpu, so Intel, problem?

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

The only thing you can do is adjust your fan curve.

Your PC is pre-build, so you should not open it by yourself.

Intel has f@cked up with 7th gen of CPUs, and doesn't want to admit it.

And ofcourse, the 8th gen will not work on z170/z270 mobos, so we won't be able to replace these crapy CPUs with new 8700k.

I have replaced my 7700k with another one, but they are the same.

0 Kudos
ikoll
Beginner

Thanks.

The question is to what?

I`m doing Photoshop and Lightroom work with pretty large files.

My workhorse is a 10 year old Mac Pro 1.1 with 2x 2.66GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon which are still good and reliably working.

The funny thing is, that I didn`t change because of speed, but because I cannot update my OSX any more ;-)

Intel! What do you suggest,

because I do not want to take part in the game: Never mind,

you`ve got warranty for three years with Apple Care

and afterwards you buy a new one?

The really ennoying thing is that Apple must have known about these heat spikes,

and they released their Kaby Lakes with much praise at the end of June!

0 Kudos
ASušt
New Contributor I

Intel said, that any behavior below 100c is normal, so nobody will do anything with our complaints.

Even if CPU will spike from -99 to 99c every second, this is still in the "safe zone".

They just want us to buy the new CPUs and not bother them.

0 Kudos
ikoll
Beginner

Haha...changing bios values...lower cpu v...you are talking to an Apple user... ;-) the only Apple user who has this problem....according to Apple support :-)

0 Kudos
DBux
New Contributor I

Well, first you must be sure that this isn't true! Perhaps your computer has, really, some problem (in this case, Apple must answer). Anyway, if you have read this threat, you had seen that this Cpu temp problem is about Cpu overvoltage; so, I don't know if possible to change for you, and also I don't know which values are the best for you (here, I think lot of us have used 'try and check' method).

0 Kudos
ikoll
Beginner

Thank you Dan escpecially and the others answering me so quickly...you are really very supportive to keep containance and humor up!

Thank you.

I found something maybe for me interesting:

The IMac seems to Turbo-Boost automatically, which I didn`t know,have to verify this...maybe that explains my up to 100 degrees at Benchmark Test?!

Escepially when Intel told customers not to overclock?!

Have to verify this...

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-turbo-boost-on-mac/ How To Enable Or Disable Turbo Boost On Mac | Redmond Pie

0 Kudos
Pvega
Beginner

I just wanted to share I figured out my problem. Before I get started let me state this is going to be a long post.

Setup:

MSI z170a

i7 6700k

Asus 480 gpu

Corsair 16 Gb 2800 Ram

Antec 1250 cooler

The problem:

temperature spikes

During these spikes my games would hang for a second. Very annoying.

Launching anything on my PC would cause spikes to be random 50-29-45-64 all in one second

What I tried:

Different quantities of thermal paste. A lot, a little, the x layout etc. I got tired of doing over and over again- it was not the problem

Different Ram - not the problem

Different cooler - Nope

Different voltage as people recommended - Some what helped

Clean windows install and instantly load all my programs - Not fixed

So what Fixed it?

I finally did a clean windows install and started loading one program at a time. My temperatures idle at 29 and don't jump around. My games don't have any hang and play smooth. So I think somewhere there is a program I use that cause this.

Here is a list of the programs I have installed so for and I get NO spikes.

Chrome

Steam

GPU tweak

Antec Grid

Asus Aurora

Unreal Engine

Here is a list of all the Programs I had installed when I was getting spikes and Hang in my Games. I will monitor my computer as I install one by one to figure out what is causing this.

Unity

Poser 11

Vegas Studio suite 10

Music Maker

Vue Frontier

3d studio max 2017

Msi live update

Sketchup

Google backup

Onedrive

Visual Basics

I am sure there are more but I can't recall them right now. When they were all installed I had a lot of task but what stood out the most was a multiple Chromium task that I could not kill. They would just keep coming up and they them selfs would have random CPU usage. They would jump around from 2% to 10%. I don't know what app they are associated with.

Now I don't know if this is an intel problem not handling the programs right or if this is a just a bad program I am loading. I am not to tech savy as some of you so I just wanted to share what I have found so far. I just hope its not an essential program I need for school that conflicts with my gaming.

Anyways with what I have installed so far I temps idle at 28-29 and 34 when I turn on MSI game boost. No spikes just yet.

0 Kudos
CCatn
Beginner

I just want to put my experience on the record to help verify this.

I too built a new computer about 4-5 months back. All new stuff, every part.

MSI Gaming 5 z270

32gb Corsair Vengance LED 3200

SanDisk Ultra II 480gb SSD

Corsair h100i v2

Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition

Corsair RM750i PSU

I would also like to say that I have, at no point, overclocked this CPU. In fact I have UNDERclocked it to try and see if that helped but alas the only thing that changed was my framerate, temps were still unstable.

I bought two intel 7700k processors, one for me and one for my friends build. He is using the H100i v1 and gets about 80c in battlefield 1 on high (not ultra) (still not great, but acceptable)

I have tested this cpu on a veriety of games (both high and ultra), and I'v had to go into the bios and set my 7 fans ( yes 7 ) including the pump to 100% in order to get it to stay at 80-90c in battlefield 1.

In overwatch, witcher, hitman, and basically any modern game on both DX12 and OGL frameworks im looking at 80c MINIMUM at idle.

this...is not right, I suspect I'v been sold a skylake that has been factory overclocked to its max and a K slapped on it as a practical joke to intels (soon not to be) loyal users...as have we all...but more importantly than that I'v also lost the silicon lottery far below what should have been allowed by quality assurance.

UserBenchmark says it performs WAY below expectations and I agree.

I'm not getting spikes, I'm getting solid bad temps that then also have horrible dangerous 90+ spikes

And before attempts are made to say iv done something wrong. I'v repasted with 3 different types of paste, temps are the same every time.

Yes the backplate is on correctly.

Yes iv tried a fresh copy of windows with nothing but nvidia drivers and the games.

this is not on me or my system. Iv checked everything from board shorts all the way down to a multimeter on my PSU. My build is solid.

I'v owned intel processors since the pentium II and I think that as a person who has easily given them several thoursads of $$ over the years, the fact that this issue isn't being addressed is deplorable.

At this point I'm going to attempt an RMA as should you all. Even if they send the same thing back the point here is that you don't get to resell me a skylake and you don't get to charge me a car payment for a defective processor.

let me say that again because I mean it, *DEFECTIVE*

I should also point out that I owned the first athelon as well and at this point if this doesn't get fixed I have no other option but to switch over to Ryzen.

Not a fanboy in the slightest, haven't owned one since phenom series but at this point you have to respect a company that makes a good product and you can't condone this kind of behaviour from a major company like this especially when their answer to thousands and thousands of complaints is a very round about "we don't care cause we have your money"

ACola2
Beginner

Guys I need some help on my i7 7700k I don't want to read all the page, someone can explain me what to do on the bios ? I have a gigabyte z270x http://imgur.com/a/vYO6T Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

0 Kudos