Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14787 Discussions

Ultra CPU lags when boosts up, causing cursor stuck.

Tyuwwe
Beginner

Device: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 G6+ IMH

CPU: Intel Ultra 7 155H

GPU: RTX4060 Laptop

Windows  11

Everytime when the CPU needs to boost up, the system will "stop", I cannot move my cursor (touchpad or mouse nor work).

But when I trying to run CPU stress tests, the CPU works fine, no lag, no stuck.

The system PL1 is 75 watts, PL2 is 115 watts.

For this problem, I have replaced 3 same devices, but all have same problem.

So I think this might be a driver problem, but no driver update in Lenovo website.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tyuwwe
Beginner

I unlocked my laptop's advanced BIOS, and I found that the laptop's PL4 was set to 21.7 watts (21700) --even lower than PL3!

Is this normal? I tried to set PL4 to 35 Watts. It seems to lag a lot less, but there's still a bit of lag.

Should I set PL4 higher and does it make sense for PL4 to be lower than PL3 by default?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Tyuwwe,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

As much as we want to assist you, we are not not familiar with the their BIOS and its settings.

And also, to avoid warranty issues, it is best to contact Lenovo on the optimize settings.

It is best that the recommendations will be coming from their technical support so that the warranty of your laptop will not be void.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Tyuwwe
Beginner
Thank you for your reply!
I have tried to modify settings these days, adjust PL1/PL2/PL4, reinstall Windows and switch to Windows 10.
Unfortunately the system still lags when the CPU needs to boost (Although Windows 10 lags too, but it has fewer lags than Windows 11 overall).
This might not be a SEVERE problem, but It's pretty weird because in previous Intel CPUs and AMD CPUs, the cursor won't stuck when you open some software and the CPU increases its frequency and power consumption even it's a pretty heavy load.
I don't know why this happens this might be some lower level problem.
I have contacted Lenovo supports for help, I noticed I'm not the only one have the problem, but it seems that Lenovo technician can't fix this problem.
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Tyuwwe,

I hope this message finds you well. 

Were you able to check the previous post?

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Tyuwwe,

Thank you for the update.

It is best to further check this issue with them since they know the configuration and to further check if there is a hardware issue.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos