Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14669 Discussions

Unable to find the processor model precisely

LLeon6
Beginner

Hello

A have a Asus M2400N notebook and I am unable to find which is the exact model of the processor. It says Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHz at boot, and using the command:

dmidecode -t cache

in Lubuntu 16.04, it says the L2 cache is 2048 kB. But then, looking at the processors with this specifications ( http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced?s=t&CoreCountMin=1&CoreCountMax=1&ThreadCountMin=1&ThreadCountMax=1&ClockSpeedMhzMin=1700&ClockSpeedMhzMax=1700&MaxTDPMax=65 ARK | Processor Feature Filter ), there is more than one option, and they have different sockets. The only processor with 1.70 GHz and 2M cache is the Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735, however I have found absolutely no mention about 735 anywhere in my computer. So I am confused about which one is the right one.

I bought it used in 2010, and it has 13 years already (its written in the motherboard September/2003). I am considering to buy a new processor to it. However, how I don't know which processor it has, I don't know the compatible specifications. And I don't know how to completely disassemble it.

This notebook has Lubuntu 16.04 installed, which required me to use the boot flag "forcepae -- forcepae", so a hint I have is that this processor is Banias, due to the PAE issue. I can't use the Windows utilities because I can't install Windows.

Trying to install Windows 10:

The option I used was to download the Fedora ISO with the IPDT utility. When I run the IPDT test with all options selected, the test fails. When I deselected the option regarding SSE, it was able to complete the test. The output was:

--- IPDT - rev 2.11.1.0 ---

--- Start Time: 09/29/2016 08:02:02---

--- Skipping Config ---

--- Reading CPU Manufacturer ---

Expected --> GenuineIntel

Detected --> GenuineIntel

Found --- Genuine Intel Processor ---

--- Temperature Test ---

Temperature not supported.

--- Reading Brand String ---

Detected Brand String:

Intel Pentium M 1.70GHz

Brand String Test Passed!!!

--- Reading CPU Frequency ---

Expected CPU Frequency is --> 1.70

Detected CPU Frequency is --> 2.19688

CPU Frequency Test Passed!!!

Expected frequency - The highest frequency at which the tested processor was manufactured to operate

Detected frequency - The frequency at which the tested processor is currently operating

Power management modes can create marginally higher or lower detected frequency

than expected frequency. Small variations in clock frequencies are common.

--- Reading FSB ---

Expected FSB : --> 1067

Detected) FSB : --> 1067

CPU FSB Test Passed!!!

--- Running Base Clock test ---

--- This CPU does not support base clock test ---

--- Running Floating Point test ---

Million Floating Points per Second, MFLOPS --> 144

Floating Point Test Pass ---

--- Running Prime Number Generation Test ---

Operation Per Second--> 332290

Prime Number Generation Test Pass ---

--- Reading Cache Size ---

Cache Test not supported on this model processor.

--- MMX SSE Test Disabled ---

--- Determining AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities ---

--- CPU FEATURES DETECTION FOR ---

--- AVX/AES/PCLMULQDQ ---

AVX - Advanced Vector Extensions Supported --> No

AVX OS Support - AVX Operating System Supported --> No ---> No Test Required

AES - Advanced Encryption Standard Supported --> No ---> No Test Required

PCLMULQDQ - Polys Carry-Less Multiply Supported --> No ---> No Test Required

--- AVX AES PCLMULQDQ capabilities check complete ---

AVX Compare Test Result --- Not Tested

AES Test Result --- Not Tested

PCLMULQDQ Test Result --- Not Tested

No AVX AES PCLMULQDQ Tests required

--- IMC NOT Supported on this Processor ---

..Platform Controller Hub Test not supported curent chipset..

..Skipping Platform Controller...
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

For this 13 year old laptop, attempting to upgrade the processor will not help you. And, no matter what you do, running Windows 10 will not be possible.

If you enter the BIOS, it should provide the processor information.

However, if you want to upgrade the processor, you MUST contact ASUS and ask them which processors are supported by THEIR BIOS. For any upgrade to be possible, the processor has to be socket and BIOS compatible. If ASUS provides the information, then you can select from those processors. And, that is only possible if the current processor is not soldered to the board.

For a machine this old, my personal opinion is that it is simply not worth the effort.

Edit: I suspect this is your processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/27578/Intel-Pentium-M-Processor-1_70-GHz-1M-Cache-400-MHz-FSB Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.70 GHz, 1M Cache, 400 MHz FSB Specifications

It uses either the H-PBGA479 or the PPGA478 socket. If your laptop has the H-PBGA479 socket, you can stop now, as the processor is soldered to the motherboard. If your laptop uses the PPGA478 socket, here is a list of SOCKET compatible processors: http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced?s=t&SocketsSupported=PPGA478 ARK | Processor Feature Filter However, as I said previously, you will need to have ASUS provide which processors are supported by their BIOS.

Doc

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

For this 13 year old laptop, attempting to upgrade the processor will not help you. And, no matter what you do, running Windows 10 will not be possible.

If you enter the BIOS, it should provide the processor information.

However, if you want to upgrade the processor, you MUST contact ASUS and ask them which processors are supported by THEIR BIOS. For any upgrade to be possible, the processor has to be socket and BIOS compatible. If ASUS provides the information, then you can select from those processors. And, that is only possible if the current processor is not soldered to the board.

For a machine this old, my personal opinion is that it is simply not worth the effort.

Edit: I suspect this is your processor: http://ark.intel.com/products/27578/Intel-Pentium-M-Processor-1_70-GHz-1M-Cache-400-MHz-FSB Intel® Pentium® M Processor 1.70 GHz, 1M Cache, 400 MHz FSB Specifications

It uses either the H-PBGA479 or the PPGA478 socket. If your laptop has the H-PBGA479 socket, you can stop now, as the processor is soldered to the motherboard. If your laptop uses the PPGA478 socket, here is a list of SOCKET compatible processors: http://ark.intel.com/Search/Advanced?s=t&SocketsSupported=PPGA478 ARK | Processor Feature Filter However, as I said previously, you will need to have ASUS provide which processors are supported by their BIOS.

Doc

LLeon6
Beginner

Hello

Thank you for helping. I had no idea where to ask for help about this subject. My desktop HDD has died, so I have only the notebook at the moment, then I used it and remembered how limited it is.

I consider the effort due to prices: a new notebook with equivalent specifications is pretty expensive, while some not-top-but-dual-core processors would solve most of its slowness. The processor is, actually, the biggest bottleneck.

I have sent a support message to Asus about this after your post. When I asked about the dead and unsupported Windows XP, they were pretty helpful [although they thought initially I was asking help for a motherboard (there is one motherboard that is M2Ne too, the support page is problematic, consequently)].

I will update this topic when I receive the answer from them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information posted previously.

To FurretUber:

I just wanted to confirm the previous information as correct, and it was mentioned before, ASUS should be able to provide a list of compatible processors with their BIOS and board, so, you can make the decision of which one to choose to do the upgrade.

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos