Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14652 Discussions

Unnatural Mouse behavior due to CPU

AAyma2
Beginner

I've had "mouse lags" for the past 6 months and I say it like this because the actual mouse itself is not really lagging, it's just the behavior is not very natural. Everything is jumpy, sometimes the cursor skips, it gets faster and slower, it can go from feeling like gliding on ice, to moving it through mud/underwater... and it all ALWAYS depends on CPU usage, cpu settings does so much different things. When I hover over CPU voltage settings and things like that in the motherboard BIOS, it lags 20x, when I enable a certain CPU based options like these: http://http//i.imgur.com/NLzKlu7.png http://i.imgur.com/NLzKlu7.png the lag increases A LOT... like a LOT!

FPS is fine, temperatures are fine. Hovering over certain things, colors, visiting certain websites increases the lag aswell.

I have tried 5 difference mice, none of them wireless, done thousands windows installations, installed linux, replaced almost everything in my PC, motherboard included. This happened when I got my CPU/motherboard back from RMA, but I still changed the motherboard. I have only tried different CPU once, and the problem was there aswell, but again... whatever I do, it never affects my mouse lag as much as when I change CPU settings.

I did run the diagnostic tool, it passed everything.

It's a I5- 6600K not overclocked.

0 Kudos
37 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Look in Task Manager when you move the mouse, maybe you notice some high memory usage or CPU on an application.

It seems to me that a driver or an application is creating problems to your PC.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

You can use also LatencyMon to see if there isn't a driver that is causing high latency.

0 Kudos
AAyma2
Beginner

Ran latencymon multiple times before, didn't get any problems. As for task manager, the mouse problem is always there, everywhere, desktop etc. but cpu usage does go up if I hover above certain things like a youtube video.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

It is not possible that LatencyMon didn't showed you any driver or program latency spyke when the mouse it's jumping like you said. You have special monitoring for drivers and applications.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Aymano,

I'm sorry that you still have this issue, please try the following:
  1. Go to the Start > Control Panel > Mouse
  2. Click on the Pointer Options tab
  3. Ensure that Display Pointer Trails, Smart Move, and Acceleration in Games options are disabled (some of these options may not be displayed, depending upon which version of Windows you are using)
  4. Exit the Mouse Properties window by clicking OK to save your changes

Have you tried installing Windows®10 on this system?

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
AAyma2
Beginner

I'm using Windows 10 atm. everything I can see seems disabled.

LatencyMon for a few minutes:

After couple of testing, I took the SSD out of the case, isolated the sata cable and psu cable for it, and let it run being on the table, things felt better, less lagg or could be much more lag, depending on how i place it... But a more important part is, I went into a game of CSGO... everything is just fine like on the desktop, but when I look at a smokegrenade the lags pops in. I had the FPS counter enabled at the same time, and while it was lagging the FPS was not dropping at all, constant stable 300 fps. but still mouse lag.

As for SSD, as I said, I have tried different sata cables, I have tried a HDD with windows 7. Tried multiple monitors and with/without any graphics card or a case. Problem as I remember it, may have started when I was changing USB mice constantly, so it just snapped and started being like this. The problem is also here in windows installation process, in the place where it says "restarting" before it does it too, and in safe mode boot aswell.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Do you have latest bios and all latest drivers installed ?

The problem you have now I had very long time ago when video driver was not good optimized, but only in games. I was having high framerates but mouse was with 1 sec delay.

Check if Physics is enabled to run on GPU.

It can be a usb/mouse driver related problem also. I eliminate probability of broken mouse because you said you tested with other mouse also.

Mouse can be a big problem. For example Razer mice have a big problem on 1000 Hz polling rate. They tend to lock randomly. For example, when system starts my mouse randomly doesn't work if it's set to 1000Hz and i have to reconnect it to work.

If you have a mouse with 125Hz or 500 Hz poiling try to use that one to see if you have the same problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Do you have the latest Windows update?

If not, make sure you run Windows update and restart your system.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
AJana1
Valued Contributor I

Hello Aymano,

This is definitely an annoy matter, and I do not want to make any deeper step towards it. The most possibly reason is lying on the physical memory modules and/or the memory controller of your processors. Change them physically, rather than setting or changing configures!

Best Regards,

Aaron Janagewen

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

He changed them already mainboard, CPU and memory.

0 Kudos
AAyma2
Beginner

I think we're better off closing this thread guys, I don't believe there is anything that I haven't already tried, I don't even think it's a hardware issue anymore, it sounds more like interference or electricity or something, even though I cannot for the love of god figure out what is going on. I don't think there is a fix other than having to try my pc somewhere else, or live troubleshooting with another PC that works fine.

I've tried replacing every single part available to be replaced. Some of them more than once aswell. (3 motherboards, 3 cpus). Thanks for the help though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

From what you are describing it sounds like there is something running when Windows loads that is causing the mouse to lag and make it seem like the mouse is the culprit. You've essentially eliminated the hardware as the source by replacing almost every component you have.

Take a look at everything running at start up.

I would recommend using Autoruns. You can download it here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Not sure, what can be causing this problem. Go to at the following link for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Check the Device Manager and see if you have more than 1 mouse enabled - if you do disable all but the one you want and try it out.

I remember seeing on the internet that a person solved an issue similar like this one by doing the following:

After switching mouse and disabling the Network Adapter and switch mouse the problem was gone then switch back to the old mouse with Network disabled and windows works without problem.

Updated the Network adapter to the latest version, hopefully it works.

If that does not work, try what a solution for a user at the following link:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/laggingfreezing-mouse-problem-really-need-help/ https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/laggingfreezing-mouse-problem-really-need-help/

Intel does not control the content on the above sites. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have updated my last post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved or if you still need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan
0 Kudos
AAyma2
Beginner

Hello.

Issue is not resolved, but I don't need further assistance as I don't think there is anything more to try, both software and hardware, I've been through it. That guy with the network fix, does not have the same problem as me, as his mouse freezes. Mine increases/decreases speeds of all time, the mouse signal kinda gets weaker, or more sensitive. It can go from gliding, fluffy, not tracking my movement with the mouse that much/ignoring most of it, to being incredibly slow, reacting to every small move I do.

If I touch the DVI cable or the monitor or many other cables/PC case, the mouse starts being sensitive in movement and goes up and down/random directions all the time like it's been triggered by what I just did. It's hard to explain, but you get the idea. And yeah I've tried replacing all cables, 2x new monitors and everything there is to try. At this time I can't do anything else than trying my pc somewhere else, or trying a complete new pc, so this thread is better off locked.

I appreciate all the help and efforts/comments posted in here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Aymano,

Thank you for your time and for your patience on this case, I'm sorry that your issue was not resolved, as you said we have tried everything and the issue persists, please let me know how it goes if you try you PC somewhere else or if you decide to build a new system.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
JHaer
Beginner

Did you ever manage to fix the issue still? Experiencing the same problem

0 Kudos