Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

Which models support Intel Processor Trace?

JHaub2
Novice

I am looking to build a home server and one thing I want to make sure of is that my new processor includes the Intel Processor Trace feature. I am having difficulty figuring out which processors support this feature, though. Which processors support IPT? Do any Xeon models support IPT?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's a few processor generations out of date, but there's some good information here: http://halobates.de/blog/p/410.

...S

0 Kudos
JHaub2
Novice

Thank you very much. Do you think newer generations would include this feature or would intel not automatically carry a feature forward in future

chips?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To me, it makes sense that every processor should have this feature. Unfortunately, my understanding is that having this feature enabled incurs a performance penalty. I would thus want a way to enable/disable the feature in BIOS. I have not, however, seen any entries (specifically) for this - but I did see an Enable Debug Features parameter the other day in one of the NUC BIOS and I wonder if this is it???

...S

0 Kudos
JHaub2
Novice

I was hoping so.

It’s actually controlled via MSRs. Below is a good reference if you’re interested. While it incurs overhead, the overhead is a vast improvement over other tracing methods. Hardware support for tracing is very exciting.

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/CanSecWest/csw2017richard-johnsonharnessing-intel-processor-trace-on-windows-for-vulnerability-discovery

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JHaub2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

If you do, could you please let us know if are you referencing to an specific Intel® Xeon Processor or you are talking about any of the Intel® Xeon Processors supporting Intel® Processor Trace? Please provide the model of the Intel® Processor if you are insterested in a specific model.

Just to confirm, are you looking for an Intel® Xeon Processor for a server board or for a desktop computer? Please provide the model of the board.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JHaub2
Novice

Albert,

Thanks for the reply. The previous information was useful, but perhaps incomplete. I am trying to figure out which models of Intel CPU support Intel Processor Trace as that will influence my buying decision. Xeon E5 2630 v4 is one I was looking at, but if newer models of i7 support IPT and are more efficient/feature rich in terms of IPT performance than I would consider those as well. Does the new i7-10700k or i9-10900k support IPT? Is the IPT performance better on those vs the E5 2630 v4?

Unfortunately IPT support is not listed on processor specification pages. For example it's not listed here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199332/intel-core-i9-10900k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html

Is there anyway to tell if a processor support IPT or would all newer generations of processor support IPT?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello JHaub2, Thank you very much for providing that information, we will be more than glad to further assist you.

We will do further research on this matter in order to try to gather the information about the Intel® Processors that you are looking for. As soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
JHaub2
Novice

Albert,

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to it.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello JHaub2, I just received an update in this matter.

First of all, let me apologize for the delay in the escalation response and the inconvenience this might have caused you, our resources have been busy dealing with the ongoing pandemic and new product launches.

After further research, we can confirm that the only Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors and 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable Processors support the processor's Trace feature.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos