Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

Why don't U version mobile processors support Intel XTU?

JL000
Novice

8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Only X and K processors can be overclocked.

Doc

0 Kudos
JL000
Novice

But it can also be used for undervolting. This is a valuable tool for reducing thermal loads and is not locked by most bios of U processors

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What processor and what system/motherboard are we talking about?

0 Kudos
JL000
Novice

The processor is the i7-8550U and the motherboard is the SGL9594A07-C01-G001-S0003+10.0.17134 on the NP900X3T-K02US by Samsung.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

According to XTU requirements:

• ​XTU is only supported on Desktop, High End Mobile, and High End Desktop (HEDT) platforms.

The Core i7-8550u is not a Desktop, HEDT or high-end Mobile​ processor.

S​orry,

...S

0 Kudos
JL000
Novice

I understand that it does not work on Mobile Processors, I was wondering why? It would be useful for reducing thermal throttling by undervolting.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Perhaps the Intel Customer Support engineers can get us an explanation from the XTU team's Marketing folks. I fear that the answer that they get will only be repeatable under NDA, however.

My personal opinion (in addition to my general dislike for this tool) is that XTU is not the right tool to support this usage model. This capability (amongst others currently implemented in XTU where they never belonged) needs to be implemented in the BIOS. Why? Because it is responsible for the implementation of most of the processor initialization and the implementation of all power and thermal management (both the initialization and programming of all active cooling (fan speed control) solutions and the implementation of all (mostly ACPI-based) passive cooling and power management strategies). Yes, this does place a burden on the motherboard (and laptop) manufacturers and yes, this could result in inconsistent implementations. Perhaps Intel needs to implement a backbone for this capability that the IBVs could integrate (or develop their own custom replacement for, since they are the kings of NIH). The BIOS developers for the various board and laptop manufacturers could then differentiate themselves with the Setup GUI that they provide on top.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello everybody Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. XTU is intended for processors that are unlocked for overclocking. In general we do not support running a processor outside of default specifications hence under clocking is not a scenario that we consider outside of factory features designed for power efficiency (e.g. Intel SpeedStep Technology). https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007073/processors.html Regarding offering options to do in BIOS this is something that is up to the motherboard manufacturer since Intel does not have a saying in which BIOS is used for a given platform. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos