Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14589 Discussions

Windows 11 processor support

JMAV
Novice

Do you have any plan to support the following processor with windows 11: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JMAV
Novice

Thanks for the idea!

I was not expecting you to give me the hack but just telling that it exists is good for me.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not intel's decision;  it is microsoft's:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

And, it is not likely to change.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
JMAV
Novice

Cute, they are saying this is your decision. 

Who should I believe in?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Believe Microsoft.   Have you tried installing W11?  If so, it failed, right?  That is because your processor is not supported.

Now, in that same "cuteness", there is a hack to get W11 to install.  It is not recommended, and definitely not supported.

I do not provide hacks (cute, eh?)   So, if you want it, find it.

0 Kudos
JMAV
Novice

Thanks for the idea!

I was not expecting you to give me the hack but just telling that it exists is good for me.

Regards

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Just make sure you undeerstand you will not be supported.  Any problems on Intel or windows are your problems.

0 Kudos
JMAV
Novice

Complementary comment!

If you're on the fence like I am, it is recommend against upgrading an unsupported PC to Windows 11.

Windows 10 will be officially supported with security updates until October 2025. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I believe W10 will go past October 2025 because of the very low acceptance of W11.   Just an opinion.   I have two machines on W11 (and hate both), 7 machines on w10 that can go to W11 (but will stay on W10), and 10 machines on W10 I could hack, but will not. 

0 Kudos