Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14723 Discussions

XTU CPU stress test avx2 failing i9-13900k on GIGABYTE mb

lokiloki911
Beginner

Hi 

I think I have a defective CPU , I started noticing problems while gaming and games will crash very frequently also while using other software's not related to gaming but they use CPU instead of gpu like 3d slicing software for 3d printing.

I concluded that the problem is from my cpu because when I set affinity to only 8 cores on all the games and software that I cited they all work correctly 

I searched for a solution online and I found a very similar case to mine : https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/i9-13900K-very-frequent-crashes-Windows-11-with-apps-games-and/m-p/1527297 

but I cant use this fix because I have a GIGABYTE motherboard not Asus one so I don't have SVID behavior on my BIOS settings .

I followed all the steps on the the link to rule out that the problem is not from the cpu

I tried the cpu stress test AVX 2 and it crashes my pc every single time .

my specs : 

•   Gigabyte 690 ud DDR 5 
  • Nvidia RTX 4090
  • Corsair ram DDR5 64 GB
  • Intel Core I9 13900K
  • Bios update F23

PLEASE HELP 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
lokiloki911
Beginner

Hi VonM_Intel first of all thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Basically while I was waiting for an answer from the Intel Community  I tweaked some settings in my BIOS and it seems I have solved the issue , but I'm not sure if what I did is correct or can damage my  CPU so I would really appreciate a response from you to let me know if I should keep the current settings that I have tweaked or should I go back to default and try your recommended tweaks .

This are the tweaks that I've made in BIOS :

• Changed Turbo power limit from AUTO to INTEL POR
  • Changed Enhanced  Multi core performance from ENABLED to OFF
  • Changed Hyper Threading technology from AUTO to OFF

After changing this setting I tried AVX2 and it passed and the software's that used to crash worked flawlessly 

Thank you I'm waiting on your kind response 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
VonM_Intel

Hi, lokiloki911.

Thank you for posting in our Community. 

The Intel Core i9 13900K has been reported to have issues with certain workloads and games, often related to power and current limit settings in the BIOS. These issues are not necessarily indicative of a defective CPU but could be related to BIOS settings that need to be adjusted.

For Gigabyte motherboards, while you may not have the SVID Behavior setting, there are alternative settings that can be adjusted to potentially resolve these issues. It's recommended to check for any BIOS updates from Gigabyte, as they may address stability issues. Additionally, you can try the following solutions:

• Solution A):
    • In BIOS, select "ADVANCED MODE", in the Tweaker tab, locate the CPU Vcore and select the "Normal" option, select "Dynamic Vcore(DVID)" option, change it from "Auto" to "+0.005V" Increase the DVID by +0.005 and reboot OS, until the game crash disappears and the system is running stable.
  • Solution B):
    • In BIOS, select "Tweaker", select "Advanced Voltage Settings", select "CPU/VRAM Settings", adjust "CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration", and recommend starting from "Low" to  "Medium" until the system is stable.

After implementing A or B, run the XTU test again, and if the AVX2 test can pass. Also, please run games and see if the issue happens again. Let me know if the problem persists, after trying these steps.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
lokiloki911
Beginner

Hi VonM_Intel first of all thank you for your reply I really appreciate it.

Basically while I was waiting for an answer from the Intel Community  I tweaked some settings in my BIOS and it seems I have solved the issue , but I'm not sure if what I did is correct or can damage my  CPU so I would really appreciate a response from you to let me know if I should keep the current settings that I have tweaked or should I go back to default and try your recommended tweaks .

This are the tweaks that I've made in BIOS :

• Changed Turbo power limit from AUTO to INTEL POR
  • Changed Enhanced  Multi core performance from ENABLED to OFF
  • Changed Hyper Threading technology from AUTO to OFF

After changing this setting I tried AVX2 and it passed and the software's that used to crash worked flawlessly 

Thank you I'm waiting on your kind response 

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, lokiloki911.

I'm glad to know that adjusting the BIOS settings has led to a positive outcome. While the changes you've made seem to have fixed the problem, it's important to monitor your system for stability and performance.

Disabling Enhanced Multi-Core Performance and Hyper-Threading can reduce thermal load and power consumption, which may prevent errors under certain conditions. However, these settings also limit the CPU's capabilities. If your system is stable and performing well, you may continue with these settings. Otherwise, reverting to the default settings and applying our recommended tweaks might be a safer long-term solution. Please keep an eye on your system's behavior, and if any issues arise, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best Regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos