Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14735 Discussions

browser occasionally displays a status_access_violation error.

SR_life
Beginner

The browser frequently displays a status_access_violation error message and occasionally crashes abruptly.
This issue can be replicated in Edge, Chrome, and Firefox.
Usually, refreshing the page resolves the issue, but it is particularly easy to trigger on certain webpages (e.g. https://www.nvidia.com/zh-tw/geforce/drivers/).

I have tried using Task Manager > Details > changing the browser's "Set affinity" option and tested each one individually.
I found that the issue only occurs when CPU #8 is selected. However, I tested running other software with CPU #8 and they all worked normally.

Attached is a testing video: https://youtu.be/GnU8THjUvWM
From 12 seconds onwards, there is lag until the error message appears at 30 seconds.

9f95aa8c-7144-4de5-9c5f-21e1d653d3b6.png

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
SR_life
Beginner

SSU Report File 

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello SR_life,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i9-13900K Processor, I will be glad to assist you.

Please consider the following:

• When did you start receiving this error message? Was there any hardware change or driver/OS update before the issue started?
  • Although you have tested the processor with other software, have you also noticed any performance issues overall?
  • Make sure the browsers are updated to the latest version.

I noticed that your memory modules are running at 2400 MHz, which it translates to 4800 MT/s, and that speed is over the processor specifications (Up to DDR4 3200 MT/s, according to https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/230496/intel-core-i913900k-processor-36m-cache-up-to-5-80-ghz.html).

Before testing the processor in order to check its health, make sure to set the memory speed under the processor specifications. Once this is done, please run a test using the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/19792/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?) and let me know of the outcome.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
SR_life
Beginner

I bought a brand new computer in January of this year, and encountered this problem when I installed the OS for the first time. So I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows 10, but the problem persisted. (bios setting all default)

Test PASS

SR_life_0-1677156315297.png

SR_life_1-1677156336803.png

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for the information provided.

Upon investigating, this error message could show up when you have too many extensions or caused by the last extension installed, so please try disabling the extensions or at least the last extension installed, if any.

It also could happen on web pages filled with banners/advertisements.

I would still like to investigate about the Core #8 situation, but please confirm the information above and let me know about it.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
SR_life
Beginner

I don't have any extensions installed

SR_life_0-1677301179113.png

I am able to reproduce the same issue in Edge, Chrome, and Firefox,
and the common factor is that the issue is resolved and the browser functions normally and stably when CPU #8 is disabled.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Many thanks for your response.

I will investigate further on this, and as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
SR_life
Beginner

I conducted some advanced tests, attempting to disable the first Efficient-core from the BIOS (which I assume is CPU #8 based on its affinity).
However, the issue still persisted.

Then I proceeded to try activating a single Efficient-core at a time, running a total of 16 tests.,but the results were the same.

Finally, I disabled all Efficient-cores and the issue no longer occurred.
These tests are provided for reference.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello SR_life,

Many thanks for your patience and information provided.

Upon investigation, this issue is not caused by a CPU, and there is no reason the CPU can cause the problem. Please take a look at this page (https://www.makeuseof.com/fix-status-access-violation-error-microsoft-edge/#:~:text=Status_Access_Violation%20is%20a%20common%20error,registering%20for%20memory%20without%20permission).

Have you seen this same issue on Windows 11? If not already, please try with Windows 11.

As well, could you please provide more details about how you figured out the CPU#8 is causing the issue? Excluding the information that you have kindly already provided us.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SR_life,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SR_life
Beginner

No, I am not considering upgrading to Windows 11 due to my job requirements.
I have noticed that it's not just the browser, but other software like "Line" or "PotPlayer"also experience abnormal termination.
However, the frequency of these incidents is low, and I cannot find a consistent way to reproduce them.
Later, I used "Process Lasso" tool to turn off all CPU #8 for all processes, and everything has been working normally since then.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello SR_life,

We appreciate the information provided.

We are glad to hear that everything is now working as expected. We will keep this thread open for a few days to confirm if the issue re-appears again.

Let us know if you face any inconvenience.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

We would like to know if you want to continue with the assistance, so we can investigate further or if we can proceed to close this thread.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
filod
Beginner

hi, i have exact same issue (CPU #8), is there any solultion now?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

This thread is closed.   Start a new thread for yourself and explain the problem.  Provide your processor model number.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos