Novice

Built a new system.

Intel i5-14500
ASRock B760M PRO RS/D4 Motherboard
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 RAM
Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO Plus
Windows 10 Pro

Problem is CPU is stuck at 2600 MHz.

BIOS > Advanced Mode shows Processor Max Speed: 2600Mhz and Min Speed: 400Mhz.

BIOS EZ MODE it indicates Processor Speed: 4600Mhz.

Intel states the Performance-core Base Frequency is 2600Mhz. Which happens to be what I'm stuck at.

HWMonitor shows all cores stuck at 2600 Mhz.

I tried to load the CPU by running many videos & programs at the same time. The CPU fan speed went from 1100 RPM to 3100 RPM so I figured the CPU must be under some load. But the cores never went faster.

I was also expecting the cores to slow down at idle with no load, like my old CPU did.

I did contact ASRock Technical Support (not the forum). They said to update the BIOS, which I did. But that made no difference. Then they said to try another CPU.

I found a thread on this forum where someone did have a SpeedStep problem & it turned out to be a defective CPU. Is this a common occurrence?

Does it look like the CPU is bad because the BIOS states the Processor Max Speed is 2600Mhz and Min Speed is 400Mhz?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Mike109,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

To help me further identify the problem and offer you a solution, kindly provide the following details:

• When did you first notice that the CPU speed was stock at 2600 MHz?
  • Please provide a photo or video of the exact issue that we have.
  • Is it possible that you can try another processor on your system? so we can easily determine if the reported processor is faulty.

We look forward to your response!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Mike109
Novice

I found the problem last night -

The version of HWMonitor I had was out of date. I thought it was working OK because it displayed temperature, voltage, fan speed, clocks, etc. Problem was the clock speeds were stuck at 2600MHz.

I installed HWINFO64 and it showed the clock speeds varying all over. This made me question HWMonitor. Installing a new version now shows the clocks varying all over.

I apologize for posting a problem that really wasn't.

ACarmona_Intel

Hello Mike109,

Thank you so much for the update, and no worries; we understand.

By the way, please let me know if you still need our help or if you already wish to close the case.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
Mike109
Novice
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Mike109,

Thank you so much for the response.

As requested, I will now be closing this case. If in the future you might need our assistance, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

You are very welcome, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos