Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14639 Discussions

[i5 5200U] Turbo boost is only enabled after reactivating Windows 10

PPhen
Beginner

Hi.

I've got some troubles with my Acer Aspire E5 571G with an intel i5 5200U and a nVidia GT 840m: Because of the poor performance of my system, I checked the CPU clock under stress and noticed, that the highest clock achieved was 2,2 GHz (measured with CPU-z and intel Tuning utility) when two cores were used. It should go up to 2,5 GHz. Acer already released special drivers and a BIOS activating the turbo boost. I tried them all and also different Windows Versions but nothing helped, until I forced the multiplier to 25 with ThrottleStop, which was working really well. But I don't really want an off-site tool two boost my CPU, when it should do it by itself. I already tried different power saving settings of my PC and battery-configurations. The BIOS doesn't allow me to change settings, but shows me that the max clock should be 2,5GHz. There is no heat problem using ThrottleStop forcing the turbo multiplier. By accident I noticed, when my PC turns off to power saving mode and I reactivate it with my Win 10 pin, the turbo boost works without any problems. I tried it several times and it's reproducible. Turn on PC from power off => Win 10 pin => wait for it to load everything => start intel tuning utility => stress test max 2,2 GHz => Turn PC off to power saving mode => Reactivate with Win 10 pin => start intel tuning utility => stress test max 2,5 GHz. Benchmark results are 200 (2,2 GHz) against 240 (2,5 Ghz), so it's kind of significant difference.

Does anyone have a clou what could possibly be the problem? All drivers are the newest and recommended by Acer.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Does the processor pass the Intel(R) processor diagnostic tool?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool Download Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

If you find any inconsistency with the tool reporting something wrong with the processor, please contact http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ Acer Worldwide for warranty

Allan.

0 Kudos
PPhen
Beginner

I kind of resolved the problem in a weird way.

1. I deactivated the fast boot of Windows 10

2. Reboot the system

3. Turn the PC off to "power save"-mode

4. Reactivate Windows

5. Turn on fast boot again

6. Restart

Now the CPU uses turbo boost whenever it's needed. Don't ask me why...^^ But it works.

The diagnostic tool shows me an error: IPDT64- Result: Fail

But based on the thread ( ) it's more an issue with the tool than my CPU.

I can't really rely on my warranty, because I opened the notebook case to change the HDD to a faster intel SSD...^^ As far as I know this voids the guarantee.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Good information. Let's wait for new IPDT software at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software

It seems that your processor is in good condition.

Allan.

0 Kudos