On 01-01-2024, I upgraded my PC. With new PC configuration is as follows

Intel Core i7 14700KF

MSI Pro Z790 A WIFI DDR4

Cooler Master Master Air MA612 Stealth ARGB 120 mm Dual Tower CPU Air Cooler

MSI MPG A850G PCIES SMPS 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold

ADATA XPG 32 GB DDR4 RAM

ADATA XPG 2 TB M.2.

ZOTAC RTX 4070

With 6 (six) 120 mm intake CPU Cabinet fan and 3 (three) exhaust fan.

From the Old system
2 TB Toshiba HDD
256 GB Samsung SSD

After playing games for 1 hour like The Witcher 3 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wild Land in max graphic setting (both the games downloaded from Steam), the processor temperature begins to reach 100 C and stays there while the GPU temperature stays between 55 C and 70 C. And the game starts lagging.

Then, to check the performance of the PC, I tested benchmarks using software like Cenebench, the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and AIDA 64 Extreme. As soon as the benchmark begins, the processor temperature reaches 100 °C from around 34 °C. In the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Software, it is showing the processor is thermally throttling, but other things are okay.
In the AIDA 64 Extreme software, it is showing the processor is thermally throttling, about 16%, and the remaining things are okay.

Now I did set the processor temperature in the BIOS menu from auto to 85 C.
Everything is the same as before, just this time the temperature reaches 85 C.

I watched many videos on YouTube for possible solutions, such as

1. To set the CPU limit load lower than mode 9 (as suggested by MSI), I tried modes 1 to 5, but it did not work.
2. Under Volting: Using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility under Volting Up to a negative 60-value benchmark score was reduced, but processor temperature remained the same. At a negative 65 value, the system rebooted and started from zero.

3. Resetting bios.

4. Replaced the stock Cooler Master Master Air MA612 Stealth Air Cooler fan with Cooler Master Mobius 120 P fans.

Still, the overheating problem remains.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you update your bios?  If not, you should.

Are you saying you used the OS from the old system, without doing a fresh install?

Are you saying you did not install the chipset INF/device software for the new motherboard?

You should:

Update the bios, and reset settings to the default.

Do a fresh install of the OS

Immediately install the chipset device software

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

I have updated my BIOS and had reinstalled the OS.

I took a backup of the data and completely formatted all storage devices with the PC. Then reinstalled Windows 11 on ADATA XPG 2 TB M.2. (Newer Storage).

Also updated the latest bios from the MSI website.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Did you install the chipset software?

For issues of overheating on home built PCs, it is my experience that:

The cooler and thermal paste are not properly installed, or the cooler is inadequate, or not functioning properly.

The case is not properly ventilated.  This means properly balancing the intake and exhause fans.

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

Regarding the drivers, firstly I updated all the drivers from the Windows update. Then confirmed the same from MSI Center software. All drivers including the Intel Chipset are up-to-date.

Totally 3 times I changed the thermal paste and checked whether the Air Cooler is properly mounted or not. Additionally, I checked the Cooler Master website for the tutorial for installing Cooler Master Master Air MA612 Stealth ARGB 120 mm Dual Tower CPU Air Cooler.

All the time I guess I followed the correct method.

Here is a screenshot of the ideal state temperature.

For the sake of conversation let's imagine I installed the cooler improperly, but what happens as soon as gaming or benchmark stopped, The temperature drops down to the 40 C range instantaneously.

Gaming for approximately 30-40 min does not cause any lag and the temperature stays within the range of 70 C. After approximately 1 hour temperature reaches 100 C. All cases fans start running at maximum speed still temperature remains unchanged. Now 85 C as I have set that in BIOS.

Currently, the room temperature is around 15 C as in the Winter Season.

During benchmarking instantaneously reaches 100 C. As can be seen in the previous screenshot.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

OK, let's wait for an Intel support engineer to respond.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thing - are you running that MSI afterburner software?  If so, uninstall it and check the temps.

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

No no, I am not using MSI Afterburner.

Further I have not done anything to overclock my PC.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @abhijit_das

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We sincerely regret you are experiencing issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-14700KF Processor, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Was the system working properly before?

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

Here are the reports generated using Intel® System Support Utility for Windows and Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Sir, you have asked whether the system was working properly before. 

By saying that I have upgraded my PC I mean that except for the PC cabinet and two storage devices, I have replaced all the parts in the system. Currently, I am using my older monitor will replace it soon.

The older PC was somewhat outdated with Intel i7 4790 processor and GTX 750 Ti, which was perfectly working well except it didn't run well in most modern games.

This present system I built on 01-01-2024 (completely new), ideally it is working great after 2-3 days when I first installed one game and started playing approximately after 1 hour PC started lagging, then minimised the game and opened a hardware monitor software and saw that processor temperature is around 100 C.

Initially, I thought maybe this was due to one particular game. Then I installed the second game and again after around 1 hour temperature reached 100 C. After watching some YouTube videos I ordered some cabinet fans and installed them for proper ventilation but the problem remained the same.

Eventually, I replaced the stock fan of the CPU cooler with a performance fan but still, the temperature remained the same.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello abhijit_das

Thank you for sharing that information.

Please allow us to research about this issue internally, we will post back as soon as we have any update.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

Ok, Sir.

Waiting for your kind suggestion.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @abhijit_das 

After looking at the SSU report attached to your post, I suspect that the Chipset Software wasn't installed correctly. The Chipset software should be the first driver installed after Windows installation. Only after installing the Chipset Software and rebooting your computer, you may continue and install all the other drivers.

Leon

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

@LeonWaksman @Jose_Intel 

Sir,

I formatted my PC. Firstly I installed the Chipset software manually, then restarted my PC and installed the other drivers. 

Then I ran AIDA 64 extreme, and the temperature was spiking as usual.

Then to check the temperature while gaming I installed the game The Witcher 3.

This time I also installed MSI Afterburner as after searching online I found out it provides real-time temperature while gaming and was easy to set up.

I have again attached the present SSU report and IPDT report as well as 2 videos to show the temperature status while playing as well as running IPDT.

As you can see in the 2nd video as soon as the test ends temperature drops almost instantly.

Waiting for your kind suggestion and reply.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello abhijit_das

Thank you for patiently waiting.

Based on the previous report, we noticed that your system is not up to date. Please download and install the latest BIOS: 7E07vA9 (For further assistance regarding that process, please contact the system manufacturer).

Please let us know the outcome, and provide us with a new SSU report.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

Sir, the BIOS link you have given 7E07vA9, is for the same motherboard model with DDR5 version i.e., MSI Pro Z790 A WIFI DDR5

I have been using the DDR4 version i.e., MSI Pro Z790 A WIFI DDR4, here is the link for the BIOS page

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-A-WIFI-DDR4/support

I downloaded the latest BIOS from this link today and updated it to 7E07v1A.

Now if you want I can download and try the DDR5 version BIOS 7E07vA9, as you mentioned.

I have annexed the latest report and a few screenshots for your reference. 

The Problem still remains the same.

Sir frankly speaking I have already spent a huge chunk of money and now my brain is not working why this is happening?

Sir, some users in the above have suggested installing the Chipset driver first and following some steps. So I will format my PC and try those steps and then will update you.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello abhijit_das

Thank you for your confirmation.

We are sorry to hear that the issue persisted, please allow us to research about this issue internally. We will post back as soon as we have any update.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello abhijit_das

Thank you for waiting.

We would like to know if it is possible for you to test another GPU and motherboard. Please let us know.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos
abhijit_das
Beginner

No Sir. Practically and financially it is not possible for me to test another GPU or Motherboard.

Sir I would like to inform you one thing which I already mentioned earlier during testing using software like Cinebench or AIDA64 GPU temperature was normal. AIDA64 was informing thermal throttling only about the Processor, not the GPU.

Waiting for your kind suggestion and reply.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Abhijit_das,

Thank you for confirming.

We regret to learn that the issue persists. Please grant us the opportunity to investigate this matter internally. We will provide an update as soon as we have any information.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello abhijit_das

Thank you for your patience.

I hope this message finds you well. We understand that you've been experiencing some issues with your system, and we're committed to helping you resolve them as efficiently as possible. To ensure a systematic approach to troubleshooting, we recommend the following steps:

1. Liquid Cooling Solution: We would like to suggest the possibility of incorporating a liquid cooling solution for your system. While we are not insisting on an immediate purchase, this could potentially address the issues you're facing. If you are open to it, we encourage you to consider testing with a liquid cooling solution to observe any improvements in performance and temperature control.
  2. CPU Swap Test: In the event that the issues persist even after exploring the liquid cooling solution, we recommend conducting a CPU swap test. This involves temporarily replacing your current CPU with an alternative one to ascertain whether the problem lies with the processor. If you have access to a compatible spare CPU or can borrow one for testing purposes, please proceed with this step.
  3. Unit Replacement: If, after the liquid cooling test and CPU swap, the issues persist, it may be necessary to consider a unit replacement. We understand that this is a significant step, and we want to assure you that we are committed to finding the best resolution for you.

We appreciate your patience and collaboration throughout this troubleshooting process. Please let us know the results of each step, and if there are any challenges or concerns you encounter along the way. Our goal is to ensure that your system operates smoothly, and we are here to support you in achieving that.

Thank you for choosing our products, and we look forward to assisting you further.

Best regards,

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

0 Kudos