Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14716 Discussions

i7-14700k running hot

Josh66
Beginner
Hey, I have a question about my i7-14700k processor. It is brand new and i finished my build a few days ago. I have an h150i elite lcd xt 360 mm as my liquid cooler. While my computer is idle, i am ranging from 38c-45c which seems a bit high and when im in a game it ranges from 70c-87c. I am worried that i have an issue with cooling or my processor because these temps seem very high and im scared of harming my processor or ruining its life span. Please get back to me on if these temperatures are okay or not. (Also i heard about undervolting but i have no idea where to start or how to even do it.) It runs stock, i have not adjusted the cpu at all.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I wouldn't consider these temperatures as being too high in either case. If it never goes above 87c (other than very short duration spikes), then the processor will be happy and good for its warranted lifetime.

...S

0 Kudos
Josh66
Beginner
Ok thank you, in most games it does hover around 65c-80c but in cyberpunk 2077 however it hovers more around 87c-90c with spikes up to 95c. Also i have 5 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan if that matters for anything. Although i was getting these temperatures with an open case so…
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Actually, your solution could be making it worse. Those 5 inlet fans could be pulling in more air than can be exhausted by that one fan (and other openings). This can result in a positive pressure buildup inside the chassis, causing standing air and this can make the cooling ineffective. As well, if you have a AIO, its radiator and fans should be exhausting the heated air directly out of the chassis. If it isn't, it is contributing to the problem.

...S

0 Kudos
Josh66
Beginner
Hi,
So i did change my fan orientation and i made the top 2 exhaust and the rear exhaust while leaving my front 3 on intake. It did not make much of a difference and my cpu even spiked up to 100c during playing cyberpunk 2077 earlier. I don’t want my cpu to overheat and get damage caused to it and i dont know what to do.
0 Kudos
Josh66
Beginner
Also, would limiting cpu usage to about 90% help at all. I don’t know how much it would hurt the performance i just don’t think those are safe temps.
0 Kudos
Josh66
Beginner
Also, I just ran into another issue. My lcd screen and fan leds turned off after my cpu got very hot and i didn’t want to cause any damage and turned the system off.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Josh66, I just wanted to check if you need further assistance on the overheating scenario?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Josh66
Beginner
Hi,
I am in the midst of getting a new liquid cooler from corsair but i would still like to know if my 14700k hitting 100c in games is okay?
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Josh66, Thank you very much for your response. 

Excellent, it is great to hear that you are getting a new liquid cooler from Corsair. 

Sure. For this scenario is it important to mention that the T-junction of Intel® Core™ i7 processor 14700K procesor is 100°C. Any temperature result lower or equal to that value is considered normal and expected for this unit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/236783/intel-core-i7-processor-14700k-33m-cache-up-to-5-60-ghz.html

In order to rule out a possible hardware issue, please install and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool, it does an overall test on the processor and it if passes the test it means it is working properly:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15951/intel-processor-diagnostic-tool.html?wapkw=intel%20processor%20diagnostic%20tool

Just in case, here you have the "Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors" for you to confirm if your processor is actually getting overheated and with additional information on this subject:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Josh66, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Josh66, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos