Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

i7 6700K + Flood of Cache Hierarchy Error (Event 19) - Need help

idata
Employee

Hi,

I recently built a new computer with a i7 6700K in it.

The motherboard is a GB Z170MX-Gaming 5 and and running Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bits

At exactly every minutes, my Windows system logs get flooded with a bunch of those warnings:

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core

Error Source: Corrected Machine Check

Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error

Processor APIC ID: 7

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Those are only warnings and I got no issue so far with the computer (no BSOD, no freeze, no lag, etc.)

Everything run at stock frequency (CPU, RAM, GFX, etc.)

I have the latest driver and firmware for everything including bios, chipset, ssds, sound card, etc

I tried to format and reinstall Windows 10 without success.

I also reset the bios to default (just in case) without success.

The power supply have been tested as well.

I run Prime95 for 24 hours, Memtest for 24 hours, IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool for 24 hours and no error have been reported.

In fact, everything seems to work great but I still have those logs and I really don't like the "A corrected hardware error has occurred."

I'm out of option so, I hope someone in the forum or someone from Intel will be able to help me

Thanks

Here is one of those logs in details:

+System

-Provider[ Name]Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger[ Guid]{C26C4F3C-3F66-4E99-8F8A-39405CFED220}

EventID19Version0Level3Task0Opcode0Keywords0x8000000000000000<table border="0" cel...
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello domtheluck:

Thank you very much for providing those files.

At this point I just wanted to let you know that pretty much you tried all the troubleshooting steps that we recommend for this scenario.

We had some cases where the customer gets the WHEA error message, the reason for that error was due to an electrical overstress on the PC, in that situation the step to fix it was to do a BIOS update to the latest version as you did, but also in those cases the PC did not work at all or it was getting freeze or crashing, in this case the PC is working fine so it is kind of strange.

In some cases a replacement of the processor was necessary.

Also, in some scenarios that error was related to memory RAM. I was checking the files and I did not see the part number for the memory RAM, could you please provide that part number of it so we can check the specifications of it?

Also, just for testing purposes, did you test the PC using just one memory stick, with all the sticks?

Do you have the option to test your board with a different processor, or test your processor on a different board?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Alberto and thanks for your answer!

Here is the information about the RAM:

Corsair Vengeance Lpx 32GB 4x8GB DDR4-2666MHZ C16 1.2V (CMK32GX4M4A2666C16)

Just in case, the power supply is a Corsair CX650M (650 Watts)

About your other question, no i didn't test with just one memory stick. I will try that.

Unfortunately, I cannot test the CPU with another board or vice versa. I have two laptops and the other PC is my old one with a fourth generation i5.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello domtheluck:

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

The memory RAM seems to be fully compatible, but remember that it should be running at 2133MHz, not higher than that since the memory controller is on the processor, so for the PC to work properly that will be the max speed that is needed for this processor, as you confirm on the following link:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Also, the power supply seems to be just fine.

The fact that you do not have the option to swap parts is not a problem, please let us know by checking the BIOS if the RAM is running at 2133MHz or 2666MHz, so we can further assist you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

HI Alberto,

Here is a screenshot of the bios setting for the DDR 4 RAM:

Frequency and voltage looks good.

Just to be sure, I lowered down the multiplier to 21 to get a frequency of 2000MHz but I got the same warning.

Yesterday, I tried to run Windows 10 in safe mode for an hour and I didn't get any Event 19 warning but, I don't think this test is relevant since not all the drivers are loaded.

Waiting for your answer

Have a great day

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello domtheluck:

Thank you very much for that information.

Yes, actually the fact that the NUC is not showing that error message when you use save mode it means that the problem could be related to a driver.

Remember that the drivers in this case are provided by the manufacturer of the motherboard, you mentioned that the drivers are up to date but just to make sure, did you tried to install the latest driver versions from the following page?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530# dl http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530# dl

And same thing with the BIOS, the latest BIOS version is F20, is that one that is currently installed on the PC?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530# bios http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5530# bios

Please let me know the results of trying those drivers or if you already did that.

Additionally as an option you can always get in contact with Gigabyte directly just to check if they have further troubleshoot steps that they can try on the board in order to try to get rid of this error.

If after trying the steps above the problem persists, then a replacement of the processor might be needed even thought the issue could be related to the board as well.

Please let me know if you are interested in replacing the processor and if Gigabyte was able to assist you.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

All drivers/bios/firmware are up to date with their latest versions.

I will open a ticket on the Gigabyte website and let you the results.

In the meantime, how the cpu replacement procedure is working? Do you send another cpu before I send the faulty one? Do I need to pay for the shipping?

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello domtheluck:

Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Gigabyte should be able to further assist you on this matter.

In regard to your inquiry about the warranty options, there are different ways to replace it, you can either get in contact directly with us, that will be the fastest way, through chat, email, phone or online support, you just need to select processor on product type and you will get those options and they will let you know which are the options to replace it:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12 http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @12

Or we can replace the processor through our forums support, I will send you a private message with further information about our warranty options.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Alberto,

FInally I got my hand on another i7 6700K and another motherboard from a friend's pc. This MB is an Asus one.

After switching the cpu, no more warning on my Windows event logs.

I also tried my cpu on the other motherboard and surprise, got a bunch of event 19 warning in the event logs.

Well, I think the conclusion is a defective cpu so, I will create a request support for an exchange.

Thanks a lot for your help and have a great day

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello domtheluck:

You are welcome.

Thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, it is great to hear that you were able to find and confirm the source of the problem by swapping parts and now you will replace the processor.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos