kirlcheah82
Beginner

I have a strange problem. 

i7-6700k with C2 microcode. 

Asus ROG Strix Z270H bios 1501

2 X 8GB DDR 4 Kingston Fury Beast Kingston FURY KF426C16BB/8

1 X 512 SSD

500W power Supply

I tried to install OS (linux, Windows 10) but once install, it cannot finish the OS install completely and then shows fail. I have tried to disable HT, sync cores etc but still not able to finish. Changing to a i5-7600K is able to finish the installs. 

I tried to finish the Windows install in the i5-7600k and fully finish without issues. Once i change it back to the i7-6700k, it will exhibit slowness and then hanging. 

It's confirmed CPU problem but is there anything i can disable in BIOS in order to use this CPU?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Toss that 8-year-old processor onto the recycle heap.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
kirlcheah82
Beginner

trying to recycle pc for students. hence will want to try to fix this. 

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The, buy another one from that auction site.  If the 2nd one fails as well, then you know it is the board.  If the 2nd one works, TOSS THE 1ST ONE.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Try resetting BIOS to factory default configuration. Make sure configured in BIOS and in Windows for Balanced performance.

...S

0 Kudos
kirlcheah82
Beginner

after changing the bios to only use single core with HT, the cpu finishes the windows installation and works normally. seems to me to be a cpu issue. When changed to 2 core, it will hang. strange. anyway to fix this?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Sounds like something has failed in the processor. Al is correct; you'll need to replace it.
Sorry,
...S
0 Kudos