Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14590 Discussions

i7 930 abnormal current draw causing shutdowns (no OC)

MKjel
Beginner

Hello fellow Intel users,

Recently, my computer have been acting abnormal with random shutdowns, ecspecially when entering a game. I tried to think of what the problem could be and came to the conclusion that it couldn't be a driver problem, but a hardware problem. As the computer only shuts down when entering a game, it could either be a high temperature failure or power supply failure. I have the Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard, thus I can monitor the temperatures and the current/voltage draws from the laptop via 'Asus Rog'. I found out that the temperatures was normal (<55 degree celsius) but the cpu-current draw just before entering a game peaks at 53 A and then shuts down. It's idling at ~ 11 A and have spikes which peaks at ~27 A in Windows.

Maybe my Corsair HX620W power supply is getting old? it's about 3,5 years old.

Anyone who might know what's causing the problem?

Thanks and regards, Mads Kjeldsen.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Adolfo_S_Intel2
Employee

The behavior that you are describing could be caused by many things, however the easiest way to determine if the processor is the cause is by testing the processor on a different known working and compatible motherboard.

If you do not have a spare motherboard to test with, you can test it on a friend's motherboard or by taking the processor to a local computer store to be tested.

0 Kudos
MKjel
Beginner

Thank you for the reply,

My friend have a motherboard, which socket fits my processor. I've also thought about changing the power supply to see if it is that, which cause the problem.

But maybe i should try the processor on another motherboard, as it is much easier handle.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, I have a similar problem.

my equipment

Asus Rampage III extreame

CPU i7-930 2.8GHz (stock)

Corsair 1000W Silent Pro Gold

3X4 Corsair 2000MHz memory vengeage

standard cooler

Tthermal artic grease MX4

Room temp about 20 ° C to 26 ° C (night - day)

Even outside the bios in case the temperature starts at 45 ° C without load.

I researched and found several similar cases without a clear answer.

Can u help me ?

0 Kudos