Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14698 Discussions

i9 13900KS Resets Computer randomly and under Intel Diagnostics or Stress Testing

Solvitt
Novice

I have just built a new P/C

Gigabyte Z790 Extreme Rev 1

i9 13900KS

Corsair Dominator DDR5 64GB (2 x 32MB 5600MHz)

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090

Corsair 1600i PSU

Corsair H150i CPU Cooling Block

I have:

Updated the BIOS to the latest version F6

Installed Windows 11 and fully patched.

Disabled memory XMP.

I am in standard default bios settings (No changes, most things seem to be set as Auto).

Without any changes the computer randomly dies, reboots. There is never any events or error messages. The system might not even be under stress, at one point it was loading Microsoft teams.

The intel diagnostics will pass randomly but mostly cause the machine to die. I'd say 70% of the time.

I have installed XTU and can run bench marks, but stress testing of any of the 4 tests causes the machine to die. (I have switched on under voltage protection to enable this to run).

If I set the turbo power to a max of 150W then things start becoming stable. Diagnostics pass and the 1st Stress test passes but the AVX and AVX2 cause the machine to Die.

At this point the temp never goes above 80 and the power is throttled at 150W.

I have replaced the PSU in case it was a power issue.

I have just replaced the memory (I had tested the memory previously and it passed with no issues but replaced it anyway just in case).

I have reapplied the cooler/paste in case of contact issue but as it fails at 80% I'm sure this isn't the issue.

I really have no idea where to go now??

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Solvitt
Novice

System is stable, I found the conflict was with Corsair iCue (4 or 5) software. When loaded the system randomly reboots and will reboot under any stress test. I have therefore plugged all fans into the motherboard so that it now controls the fan speeds and CPU pump.

No crashes after running all 4 stress tests probably 30+ times. I have even tested under the overclocked optimised settings without issue.

I can live without the lighting software and just leave on a static colour. I've also seen quite a few others with the same issue, although I would expect it to be a conflict with something else somewhere, but what I don't know, I even uninstalled all the Gigabyte software in case it was a conflict with that but iCue still caused a crash within minutes of starting a stress test. (All other software as Intel or M/S).

I have even run memtest overnight just to be sure that it isn't hardware.

You can close this issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Solvitt  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your computer, I will do my best to assist you here. 

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version (F7)
  2. Update Windows*. Select Start  > Settings  > Windows Update. 
  3. Check for overheating issues.  Make sure the thermal solution is installed properly.  Refer to troubleshooting overheating issues
  4. Start the system in minimal configuration (motherboard, processor, power supply unit, and one DRAM module)  
  5. If it is possible, try another motherboard. 
  6. If the issue persists, please attach an Intel SSU report so we can have more general information about your system: 

Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. 

Note: Make sure to mark the box that says "everything" before pressing the Scan button. After that, click on "Next>" and select "Save" and then, attach the .txt file. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Solvitt
Novice

Updated BIOS to F7 (Must have just been posted as wasn't there Monday).

Taken out one of the memory modules.

I do not have a second board to try sorry.

Updated Windows.

I have already checked the cooling which is fine as the system will crash at temperatures under 80 all the time.

Bios setting to defaults, only changed the under voltage protection so that I can run XTU.

Ran XTU and Benchmark which completed fine

Ran Intel Processor Diagnostics which failed to complete with a reboot. (Was watching the temp in XTU and was 66 at point of crash, there was no throttling happening).

After re-boot ran SSU report attached.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Solvitt  

Thank you for all the information provided. 

In that case, please try an OS clean reinstallation, it is part of the troubleshooting, but since it takes more time to perform, I wanted to recommend those steps first. 

Please let me know if the problem persists. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Solvitt
Novice

Well, Well, Well.

Thank you so much I really didn't expect it to be drivers but there you go!!!

BIOS F7, Default settings other than Low Voltage Protection set to make XTU run.

Fresh Windows Install Fully Patched

Only loaded the Gigabyte drivers and XTU, SSU, Diagnostics.

Diagnostics passed (Ran twice).

All 4 XTU Stress tests passed (5 mins each). Screens attached.

Just checking a few things before I start loading drivers and finding what is causing the issue (Any ideas what could cause a shutdown under stress?)

Stress Test : Temps drifting between 80 and low 90s occasional thermal throttling.

Stress Test AVX : Lower temps between 70 and high 80s no thermal throttling.

Stress Test AVX2 : Similar to previous test

Stress Test Memory : Very high temps mostly in 90 and occasionally hitting 100, thermal throttling and Package TDP up to 332W

All looks good but can you confirm that the stress test memory looks ok?

I will keep you posted when I find the culprit in case others have the same issue.

Many thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Solvitt  

Thank you for your reply, I am glad that helped in this issue. 

Regarding the reboot issue, there can be many root causes, OS/drivers corrupted, faulty motherboard or settings, overheating issues, updates pending, power supply issues, and so on. 

Throttling is a mechanism in Intel® Processors to reduce the clock speed when the temperature in the system reaches above TJ Max (or Tcase). This is to protect the processor and to indicate to the user that there is an overheating issue in their system that they need to monitor (in this case, the memory).  

Check the steps in the following article and let me know if the issue persists, along with a whole screenshot of the values showed up in the test, as the screenshot provided only shows the waves: What Is Throttling and How Can It Be Resolved? 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Solvitt   

I hope you are great. 

I am checking this thread and I would like to know if you were able to review my previous post.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Solvitt
Novice

System is stable, I found the conflict was with Corsair iCue (4 or 5) software. When loaded the system randomly reboots and will reboot under any stress test. I have therefore plugged all fans into the motherboard so that it now controls the fan speeds and CPU pump.

No crashes after running all 4 stress tests probably 30+ times. I have even tested under the overclocked optimised settings without issue.

I can live without the lighting software and just leave on a static colour. I've also seen quite a few others with the same issue, although I would expect it to be a conflict with something else somewhere, but what I don't know, I even uninstalled all the Gigabyte software in case it was a conflict with that but iCue still caused a crash within minutes of starting a stress test. (All other software as Intel or M/S).

I have even run memtest overnight just to be sure that it isn't hardware.

You can close this issue.

Thanks again for your help.

Steve

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Solvitt  

Thank you for your reply and information provided, I am glad to help anytime. 

I also appreciate letting me know the root cause of this issue. In that case, this thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need further assistance with other matters, feel free to contact us back and submit a new post. 

Have a rest of the week. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
JonPeyton
Beginner

Im sorry but I'm still rebooting with or without ICuE...

EVGA Classified 

I9 13900KS

64g ram

RTX 4090

my board has begun giving 5 beeps which it says means corrupt BIOS Flash or corrupt Intel ME install. I've reinstalled both with no joy.

sorry to be the spanner in the works

0 Kudos