Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14574 Discussions

i9-13900KS

YummiMacaroon
Novice

Hello, the question is the following: Having an i9-13900Ks processor on a ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO motherboard and MSI MEG Core Liquid S360 3x120mm cooling, is the normal temperature of this processor 103 degrees celsius, because the distributor says that it is normal. Also, using the AIDA64 program showed a throttling of 18%.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, this seems far from normal IMHO. While it is perfectly normal to see occasional spikes up to your processor's Tjmax temperature, you should NOT be seeing temperatures staying there. This is, to me, a signal that (a) the cooling solution is inadequate, (b) the cooling system is improperly installed, and/or (c) the cooling system is improperly configured.

When the overall package temperature rises up, the cooling system should be reacting to this by increasing the cooling solution's pump and fan speeds to help pull the temperature back down. By the time you reach Tjmax, the pump and fan speeds should be at their maximum. In cases where a sustained load is being put on the processor, the cooling solution should be reacting to the load and slowly pull the package temperature down to a more-reasonable level (somewhere around, say, 90°c). If it is not, then something remedial needs to be done.

Hope this helps,

...S

Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

Kindly be informed that the maximum T-junction temperature for your processor is at 100 degrees Celsius and what you are seeing is beyond the normal temperature and might cause your system to throttle. Just a disclaimer, the processor temperature varies according to its utilization and workload. Per checking, the cooling solution you have is indeed compatible with your processor, hence, for us to have a full glimpse of the issue, please provide the following information.

·       How is your system utilized?

·       Is your processor overclocked?

·       Is it a newly built system?

·       Have you checked if your cooling solution is properly installed with the plastic covers removed?

·       How is the system used when the temperature reached 103 degrees?

·       Have you updated your BIOS?

·       Have you checked if there is a pump failure, visible leaks, or fluid loss?

You can check on this article for your further information regarding Intel processor temperature.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html

Looking forward for your response. Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

Intel Customer Support Technician

YummiMacaroon
Novice

Hello, I am answering the following questions:
1. I use the system for streams and 3D modeling and animation (so far at the basic level as I am just learning how to do it)
2.I don't know, because I don't know much about it. After buying and assembling in the store where I ordered the parts, I did not touch anything inside except for the packaging films
3.The system was purchased on May 29, 2023
4.During homework from 3D animation courses, the device turned off several times and 7 hours of my work disappeared, after that one of the service centers before taking it to them advised me to do a stress test through the AIDA64 program, and it gave me 103 degrees Celsius and 18% throttling
5.This is the second thing that I was advised to do in the service center. Accordingly, I did.
6.I didn't check the pump, because I didn't know how to check it well, I checked every centimeter of the cooling system externally with a flashlight, there was no liquid or cracks.

After diagnostics at the service center (since the warranty is still valid), they told me that the problem is with the motherboard and video card, although no problems with the video card were detected during tests using benchmarks. (video card PALIT RTX 4090 GameRock 24GB DLSS 3)
I would like to add screenshots and videos of how I did it, but I did not have enough experience to transfer all the evidence to an additional data carrier.

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

Thank you for that detailed response.

You mentioned that you have updated your BIOS, may we know if the same issue persisted? Also, since you performed stress test on your processor, it is indeed normal that your processor reaches that temperature as that test strains the components, nonetheless, the 18% throttling and the random shut down on your PC indicates that there might be an issue with the system.

Seeing that you have consulted a local technician, have you tried to contact your motherboard manufacturer regarding this issue to check for a possible fix?

Additionally, what are other steps you’ve done to troubleshoot the issue you experience, based on the technician’s test and the steps you performed on your own. Please indicate as well if you have updated your windows?

Furthermore, can you describe the behavior of your cooling solution prior to your computer shutting down? To reiterate, your utilization and its workload may also cause the throttling of your CPU.

You can attach the files you mentioned on this platform.

We hope this helps and looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
YummiMacaroon
Novice
Check all drivers and systems what must be mother board was changed, cooling system was checked by distributor.
But I still have something like this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18Ekv7X-fGJvd_MfZGHCf3mNSuY3xiAEc
0 Kudos
YummiMacaroon
Novice

i was add some new photo and monitor log from Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I appreciate you providing the photos and videos of the tests you've made. For us to conduct an investigation on your system, please provide the SSU logs. You can follow the instructions indicated on this article for your complete guide and send attach it here when you reply. Once we have the SSU logs, we will go ahead and investigate on this internally.

Also, you mentioned that the cooling solution has been checked, could you kindly share the process of how it was checked and the outcome?

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

For the SSU logs, you can check this article, How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows*. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
YummiMacaroon
Novice

Hello Catulpos_Intel,

the system was checked at the service center. Now my video card is not installed, I use the integrated one. Since there were issues with the service center regarding its installation and delivery.

I am adding SSU logs as you requested. 

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I appreciate you providing additional details and for actively engaging with us on this concern.

You mentioned that there was an issue with the device installation and delivery, what do you mean that there is an issue with the delivery and installation, could you kindly provide further details about it?

Since your system is being checked with your local service center and they are currently fixing the issue, would it be alright if it is okay if we close this thread? You are always welcome to let us know if you need further assistance.

Anticipating your response.

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
YummiMacaroon
Novice

Unfortunately, the throttling remained even after I limited, via the Intel SSU, the electricity consumption from unlimited to 253 V

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I am sorry to hear that there is still thermal throttling even though you adjusted the voltage however we would like to confirm the application you used in limiting the voltage consumption and may we know the unit of the mentioned voltage? Is it in millivolts?

We want to let you know that Intel System Support Utility only scans for system and device information to assist you with troubleshooting and changing the voltage using this application is not possible.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I hope you are doing well today.

I just want to check if you were able to view the message we previously posted and let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks, and have a wonderful day.

Best regards,

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
YummiMacaroon
Novice

The store/service where I ordered the computer said that 100 degrees Celsius is the normal temperature for this processor. But no problems with cooling and other parts were found. Also, the problem with throttling remained.  I changed the voltage in Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility and only V was written there. They also asked to ask Intel how to cool this processor to at least 95 degrees. Because it accelerates to 100 degrees in 5 seconds. 

I'm just in despair and I don't know what to tell them

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, they flat out lied to you. This is NOT normal. Again, while short duration (minute or two max) spikes up to 100c is normal, staying at 100c is absolutely not. This is a sign of an inadequate or faulty (installation/configuration) cooling solution. The cooling solution should be reacting and pulling the temperatures down to more-reasonable levels (say, 80s).

I would also add that you should not have to resort to the use of something like XTU to under-voltage, etc. the processor. Get a better cooling solution!

...S

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I am sorry to hear that your processor exhibits such issues after the troubleshooting that you've done. You can follow the steps indicated on the article below and let me know if the issue still persists.

Article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791.html

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I hope you are doing well. Did the troubleshooting steps we suggested solve your issue? I agree with n_scott_pearson that 100 C is not the normal temperature for the CPU. It is the maximum temperature that the CPU can handle. You can find more information about the CPU's specifications at this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/232167/intel-core-i913900ks-processor-36m-cache-up-to-6-00-ghz/specifications.html

Once you visited the link search for Package Specification > Tjunction .

The maximum junction temperature limit usually varies per product and usually is between 100°C-110°C , but for this specific CPU, it is limited to 100 °C. You may also visit this link for a detailed description of CPU temperatures: 

1. Information about Temperature for Intel® Processors -https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005597/processors.html#:~:text=The%20maximum%20junction%20temperature%20limit,details%20for%20specific%20processor%20models.
  2. Overheating Symptoms and Troubleshooting for Intel® Boxed Processors - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

With a good cooling solution, you should not need to undervolt. You may relay this information with your place of purchase to test a different solution on your CPU and for other troubleshooting steps that you can take to the cooling solution you are currently using. 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

I am just checking in if you were able to reach out to your place of purchase. How did it go? 

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello YummiMacaroon,

As we have not heard a response from you in the past days, we will proceed in closing this thread. As mentioned, it is not normal for the CPU to maintain the maximum temperature for a prolong period of time. As such, we highly recommend contacting your original place of purchase to acquire a better cooling solution to your system. If you have further questions, feel free to post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos