Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14641 Discussions

i9 14900k randomly crashing

Trooper1
Novice

I recently built this Computer, and it was crashing fairly often until I updated the bios and utilized the enforce intel power option, it's crashing less often now, but still randomly crashing once every 1-2 days. I was hoping someone might be able to help me track down the issue or offer bios setting suggestions to gain system stability.

When a crash occurs, there's no blue screen or anything, PC just randomly shuts itself off, and then a few seconds later comes right back on, and lasts for another day or two before doing the same. I could be gaming or just sitting on the desktop.
Since it's doing it less often with latest motherboard bios installed and intel limits enforced, It seems to me like it may be CPU or Bios setting related.

I'm concerned that during the time the motherboard CPU power limits were set quite high in the bios by default, it may have inadvertently caused minor damage to the CPU?

I have run an Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool CPU test and it passed.
I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic test, which came back good.
I also double-checked that PL1 and PL2 were set correctly after enforcing Intel power limits.
Most recently, I have tried setting the SVID to "Worst Case Scenario" in bios.

My PC Setup:
CPU: intel i9 14900k cpu with XMP disabled and intel power limits enforced
CPU Cooling: Corsair AIO Liquid Cooling
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI
Corsair CMH64GX5M2B6400C32 32gb x2 memory sticks
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Graphics card
PSU: Corsair HX1200i 1000+Watt Platinum Cert
OS storage: Samsung 990 PRO SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe (+Various other secondary storage drives)
Case and cooling: Lian-Li 4x 120mm case fans, 3 front 1 back, (2 top attached to AIO liquid cpu cooler)

I have attached Intel SSU, Event Viewer Logs, and below is a link to my memory.dmp file (although that seems to be corrupted when I tried to look at it myself). Event logs only seemed to tell me kernel power lost, with no reason given.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/x5ss517x8ewjbwz5jd8yu/MEMORY.DMP?rlkey=io118qvsskxwycta17d3i2lvw&dl=0

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

5 Replies
Trooper1
Novice

It crashed once more this morning, this time sitting on the desktop with not much open. (Current SVID setting was Worst case scenario, I have now bumped that down to Intel's fail-safe SVID option).

I happened to be looking at the temperatures as the crash happened with HWInfo, all seemed fine with CPU core Temp at 43 C, and CPU Package temp at 45 C, and Core Max temp at 47 C.

I had been gaming prior and noticed that throttling must have engaged briefly, as I did not see a spike in temperatures in the graph; but the Maximum Core and package temperatures had recorded fairly high values. Not sure if that is an error with HWInfo temp sensor recording. Below is a screen grab of that taken just before crash. Graph values from left to right are Current > Minimum > Maximum > Average.

0 Kudos
Trooper1
Novice

To follow up, I don't think temps are related to my issue, although (of some concern) I am noticing temperature spikes on the CPU Package now during high application usage like helldivers throwing up an error and closing itself. The PC itself did not repeat the issue of crashing during this time and remained stable. Screenshots attached.

Trooper1
Novice

Update:
I was just browsing the web today and at around noon after maybe 2-4 hours of PC use the OS grew unresponsive and then fully froze, necessitating a restart. While less dramatic than a full on crash, still just as troublesome.

The pattern I've noticed so far is that after a nightly shutdown, coming back to turn on the PC in the morning it works fine for 2-4 hours and then has an issue forcing a restart; and then works fine for however long until I shut it back down again for the night 8+ hours later.

If someone has to resort to Intel's Failsafe SVID option, and is still not 100% fully stable, would you guys recommend a CPU RMA?

Trooper1
Novice

Further Update:
PC has fully crashed and restarted again today, does it once every day sometime 2-4 hours after booting up.
Even after setting SVID option to Intel Fail-safe.
Issue is not resolved, Assistance Requested.

ACarmona_Intel

Hello Trooper1,

Thank you for posting in our communities.

Please check your email inbox, as we have sent you a message regarding our concern.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos