Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14699 Discussions

is 100C safe for 14900k ?

rxnate
Beginner

Hello,

I've seen so much information all over the internet, that I don't know what to believe.

I just purchased a brand new computer, and for me, it was the most I ever spent.

Any time the Intel i9 14900k is under load, could be gaming etc, like Palworld, or World of Warcraft, the temps are pegged at 100C. It never comes down until the games are closed.

I'm not even talking about stress testing. Just moderate gaming.

I have purposely not included my hardware specs and cooling. I'm wanting to know, is this behavior potentially "normal" and "expected" Is it operating safely, just a little hot?

Is this normal? Should I be concerned? If this continues, am I looking at damage down the road?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should indeed be concerned. In addition to this causing degradation in the processor, the heat hitting surrounding components can degrade them as well. You should only be seeing short-duration spikes up to Tjmax (~100c). Being pegged at Tjmax is an indicator that your cooling solution is either insufficient or not working properly (improperly installed, improperly configured, or just plain broken). 

Understand two things:

1. The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) in the processor can only represent temperatures up to the Tjmax temperature. Seeing the readings pegged at the Tjmax temperature is an indication that the actual temperature is at or above the Tjmax temperature. Any amount of time spent above Tjmax is definitely going to cause degradation.
  2. At the same time, while temperatures are at or above the Tjmax point, the processor is going to be throttling performance in an attempt to push temperatures lower.

Bottom line, it is imperative that you address the issues with the cooling solution.

...S

0 Kudos