Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14792 Discussions

thermal throttling i7 13700f stock cooler

odedfrid
Beginner

i have a 13700f with a stock cooler and i usually reach 100 degrees on low usage 

1. is it normal 

2. what cpu cooler should i get

3. how to know for sure if my cpu is throttling

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Odedfrid,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We understand how concerning it is to get very high temperatures when your CPU is not under heavy load. We will work with you to resolve your concern.

To answer your questions:

1.  is it normal

No. It is not normal. To further validate our answer, if you say low usage, do you get 100 degrees Celsius even on idle?

What is your CPU’s temperature on idle?

What program do you use to monitor the temperature?

2. what cpu cooler should i get

The stock cooler that came with the CPU should be adequate to cool the CPU.  When you installed the stock cooler was there like a plastic membrane covering the thermal paste? If there is, did you remove it before installing it on top of the CPU?

Regarding what CPU cooler you should get, you can get any CPU cooler as long as it supports a TDP of 65W.

3. how to know for sure if my cpu is throttling

If your processor reaches 100 degrees Celsius which is Tjunction temperature of your CPU, your CPU still start to throttle. You can check this if you have a software that monitors the frequency of the CPU. If you see that the processor reached 100 degrees and the speed went down, then that is throttling.

For more information about throttling, you can refer to the following resources:

1. Page 88 of the Datasheet of your CPU

2. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000088048.html

We will check if there are suggestions that we can provide you to lessen the temperature that you are getting:

1. It would really help us if we can get more information about your system. Please download and run our Intel® System Support Utility from this page, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html. To run it, please press "Scan". After the scan is finished, click next and there will be a save button, giving you an option to save the logs to a text file, please do so and attach the file on your reply. You can refer to How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows* https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Odedfrid,

I wanted to check if you had the chance to review the questions I posted. Please let me know at your earliest convenience so that we can determine the best course of action to resolve this matter.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Odedfrid, 

We need to close this thread since we have not gotten a response from you: maybe because you are busy or preoccupied at the moment. We know that this is important for you to get it resolved and it is also equally important for us to give you the right solution; as much as we would like to assist you, we need to close it to attend to other customers. 

We hope for your consideration and understanding on this one.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great week!

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos