Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20780 Discussions

A problem on I2C, which may cause by the pin to pin resistance on the emulation board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Sir, 

I met one problem as the attachment. The voltage drop is supposed 

caused by the pin to pin impedance, I guess. Because pin to pin resistance is about ony 30K to 40K Ohms which is much lower than that 

in MAXII micro. The emulation board that I'm using is the DE2-70. When 

I use the board to design an I2C to drive an external LCM through GPIO 0 and a ribbon bus. I've gotten a waveform as the attachment. After checking, I found the pin to pin resistance isn't as high as that in MAXII micro. I don't know how many ohms are appropriate in general? The pull-up resistors that I use are FPGA internal pull-up resistors. Suppose, the values of the internal pull-up are close to the pin to pin resistance. 

Are there anyone has idea about the issue? Thank you! 

Regards, 

Peter Chang
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From your draqing: Problably the pull up on the SDA/SCL line is too high. For most I2C busses the internal pull ups of fpga's are to high in value. A 4.7kOhm pull up on the lines is a good starting point. Or some device is loading the bus ...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johannes, 

You're right. The high pull-up is one of the problem. But I'm using a FPGA 

internal pull-up. I'm not quite sure how large it is. I may only estimate it 

based on the voltage level I could see. I don't know if it is able to be set. Anyway, from the point of view, to solve the problem, I may only use 

an external pull-up. Do you think so? Thank you! 

Peter Chang
0 Kudos