Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20716 Discussions

Configuration flash size for Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm designing a board with a Cyclone III on it and a microcontroller. 

I need some guidelines on different ways of booting the Cyclone III and how big the flash needs to be. The Cyclone III comes in various sizes, how big of a flash would each model need for a full configuration? 

I had previously considered storing the FPGA configuration on the microcontroller for ease of upgrades but I have a feeling I'm running out of flash on the microcontroller. I still need to implement a way of upgrading the FPGA config through the microcontroller using an ethernet loader.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should find answers in this document (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/cyc3/cyc3_ciii51010.pdf) from Altera. The image size is on page 5, and you have a list of different configuration options.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Bringing this thread back to life. Looking at that document and trying to estimate the configuration time. I intend to use an EP3C16 device in a n EQFP144 package and the image size is 4.1Mbit according to the document. 

However I'm not sure what kind of start-up time I can expect. The configuration time would be between 205ms and 103ms according to the manual but as far as I understand, that does not include the time it takes the device to power up (POR time). I'm a bit confused as to what exactly it means to switch between a standard or a fast POR time, what exactly I need to do in my circuit design to support a fast POR time, I understand there is a power requirement difference.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Stratix the POR duration depends on PORSEL pin.  

if LOW => 100msec 

if high => 12 msec 

same applies to the config device but: 

if LOW => 100msec 

if high => 2 msec 

It is recommended: 

12 msec for stratix, 100msec for config device to make sure who is ready first. 

As to power consumption difference, I am sure it is trivial. 

For config data size: 

You may consider the size of your largesst future device in case you decide to upgrade
0 Kudos