Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Cyclone 4 deserialization, banks, pll

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Gurus; 

I have 1 Cyclone IV GX EP4CGX150(DF27C7) 

This Cyclone IV is connected to 6 x Cyclone III (C40F484) 

All of these 6 Cyclone IIIs will send 4 bit LVDS serialized input data and a clock(120mhz) 

I need to deserialize 4 bits of data with their respective clocks by Cyclone IV GXEP4CGX150 

questions 

1- Which banks should I use for these 30pins (4 bit data and clock inputs) x6 

2- What is the number of PLLs that I need to use while desialization 

PS: I used to do this with Xilinx Spartan 6 but I am new to Altera.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess, the accompanying clock is a frame (slow) clock. Then each receiver needs a separate PLL to generate a bit clock for the respective channel In other words, you can't implement 6 receivers in a single Cyclone IV. 

If some prerequisites are met (>600 MBPS bit rate, coding with maximum run length, embedded sync patterns), GX receivers may be also utilized.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But in the `clock networks and plls in the cyclone devices` datasheet it is stated that 

`Cyclone 4 GX device contain up to 8 general purpose PLLs and multipurpose PLLs.` 

Cant I generate 6 receivers using these 8 PLLs
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Cyclone 4 GX device contain up to 8 general purpose PLLs and multipurpose PLLs 

--- Quote End ---  

Right, I didn't notice this. I must confess, I'm not familiar with these C IV extensions. Sorry for the confusion.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes there will be slow clock and there will be a fast clock 

With the fast clock => deserialization will be done 

With the slow clock => paralel data(N:0) will be latched for each slow cycle clock
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The standard method is to transmit the slow clock from the source and generate the fast clock at the receiver side. However, if you transmit both, you don't necessarily need a PLL. But the fast clock should be alligned suitable for deserilization.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What about the bank selection 

Should I select different banks for the inputs? Can two plls drive the same bank with different fast clocks. Or it does not matter at all? 

regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume yes, but the details are described clock network chapter of the hardware manual. I suggest to set up a test design in Quartus and check if the bank assignments are accepted.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes that`s what I am going to do.  

I was just trying to find a quick response since I am new to the topic
0 Kudos