Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20799 Discussions

Cyclone II - configuration

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Is it possible to force the a Cyclone II FGPA to reload its configuration from user mode? 

I can manage to re-program the EPCS device from user space, but the new configuration is only loaded after a power-up cycle. It would be nice if I can force the FPGA to reload its configuration. 

Thanks, 

RAZ
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

depends on what you mean with from user mode, however pulling nConfig low for at least 2 us always starts respectivley restarts configuration.  

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The challenge is to have something keep it low once you "shoot yourself". 

Best bet is to use something like a Reset chip that will hold the nCONFIG line low after you trigger it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

Can you please tell me how to switch to user mode in quartus ii.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are referring to user mode where the dev board boots from a user specified program instead of the out of box demo program, you must make a physical change on your board. For the EP2C70 board, there is a jumper on J29 that you must move. In safe mode it is on the top two pins, and for user mode, you must remove it and replace it on the bottom two pins. The board can now be programmed and will run in user mode. If that is not what you are referring to, please be more specific with your question. Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. 

I am using CRC_ERROR pin which has to be used in usermode to detect soft errors. I understood that usermode is enabled by enabling the error 

detection CRC feature in the device & pin options dialog box in the Quartus II software by reading AN539. 

just for clarification the usermode which I understood is correct or not? 

Thankyou in advance. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have just started working with Nios II cyclone II 2C35F 672C and using quartus II subscription edition in evaluation mode. I have been trying to implement a simple VHDL program. Downloaodng .sof to the device using JTAG is successful but the device still running in the factory mode. How can I switch to user mode then? Is it limitation with the evaluation (free) license?

0 Kudos