Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20716 Discussions

Error Message 12006 with Quartus Prime Standard Edition 23.1

IonTorrent
Beginner

I have a Stratix V design I'm trying to migrate to Quartus Prime Standard Edition 23.1 from 18.1. During compile (in the Analysis & Synthesis section), I encountered following error message: 

(12006): Node instance "altclkctrl_component" instantiates undefined entity "altclkctrl_inst". Ensure that required library paths are specified correctly, define the specified entity, or change the instantiation. If this entity represents Intel FPGA or third-party IP, generate the synthesis files for the IP. 

My design doesnt call this component directly. When I clicked on the error message, it brought me to a file alt_sfl_enchanced.v which is located at the install directory:  c:/intelfpga/23.1std/quartus/libraries/megafunctions/alt_sfl_enhanced.v.  It look for that instance. Where is this instance suppose to reside, and how do I find it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Easiest thing would be to either update the IP from the Project menu (do you have a yellow or red warning above the Hierarchy mentioning updating IP?) or delete and re-add the clock control block to your design.

0 Kudos
IonTorrent
Beginner

I already updated all my IP components. There are no more yellow. See below screen shot.

IonTorrent_0-1707936311044.png

On the left site, it lists all the IP I use in my project. None of them directly instantiate the clock control block. Not sure which one I should delete and re-add. 

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

It appears that there are code changes to the alt_sfl_enhanced.v file between these two versions of Quartus.

I'm unsure about the reasons for these changes, and I may need to consult with the engineering team for clarification.

capture.JPG

Could you help to share the .qar design (Project > Archive Project) with us? We'll need to duplicate the error for the engineering team to investigate.

Please provide the design files for both Quartus 18.1 and 23.1.

If the design cannot be shared publicly, please let me know, and I'll send you an email to facilitate the transfer of files through FTP.

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
IonTorrent
Beginner

I actually manually edited alt_sfl_enhanced.v file at the install directory to comment out the few lines for the alclktrl_component. After that, compile was successful. But obviously we are not sure the repercussions of doing this editing since it's to be part of Intel IP.  Please email me. we are working on a strip down version of the design to share with you.

0 Kudos
roeekalinsky
Valued Contributor I

Educated guess here.  It sure looks like the

"altclkctrl_inst altclkctrl_component"

that was added to alt_sfl_enhanced.v some time ago was meant to be

"altclkctrl altclkctrl_inst".

Given that "altclkctrl" is an Altera megafunction that actually exists and matches the port list of the instantiation.  And "altclkctrl_inst" would be a reasonable instance name.

Note also that this change in alt_sfl_enhanced.v goes back a while, at least as far back as Quartus 21.1.1 (oldest version I had laying around to check).

Engineering team perhaps missing a regression test for alt_sfl_enhanced.v?

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I have send you an email. Please kindly check and attach the design.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

As mentioned in the email, I able to duplicate the issue and have submitted a case to the engineering team to investigate. 

Please keep in mind that any work involving our engineering team may take some time, ranging from a few days to a few weeks, depending on the complexity of the issue.

We appreciate your understanding and patience regarding this matter.

I will keep you updated as soon as there is any progress or findings.

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

The engineering team is still investigating the issue.

I will continue to follow up with the engineering team and provide you with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I just wanted to inform you that I'm working closely with the engineering team to evaluate this issue and assess any associated risks.

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

The engineering team does not recommend reverting the SFL logic, as doing so may lead to unnecessary pulses or glitches, as mentioned in the following KDB article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000088178.html.

Users will need to add the altclkctrl module to their design.

Or

Recommend those who are using SFL IP to upgrade from older versions.

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I will file a KDB for this in case other customer may come across a similar issue.

With that, I will transition this thread to community support. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos