Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Executing tcl to a specific project

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am new to tcl scripting and I am having a really hard time understanding how to execute a tcl script. I have the project open in quartus and the tcl script in the same directory as the project.  

The scripts does virtual pin assignments and I took it as it was from the altera website.  

Thank you, 

-Adrian
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am new to tcl scripting and I am having a really hard time understanding how to execute a tcl script. I have the project open in quartus and the tcl script in the same directory as the project.  

The scripts does virtual pin assignments and I took it as it was from the altera website.  

--- Quote End ---  

Tcl scripts can be 'sourced' from a Tcl shell. 

In the Quartus GUI, click on the Tcl shell. If you can't see the shell, make it visible using View->Utility Windows->Tcl Console. 

Then at the Tcl prompt (which looks like tcl>) type: 

tcl> source my_script.tcl 

where my_script.tcl is the script you are trying to 'execute'. What you are really doing by sourcing the script is saving yourself some typing. If the script defines a procedure, eg., something like this 

proc boring {} { 

puts "This is a boring procedure!" 

Then it defines a new procedure in the Tcl shell. You can then type 

tcl> boring 

and the shell will run the procedure, which prints a message to the console. 

If you want to see more complex use of Tcl scripts, go through this tutorial: 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Dave. Very clear and concise answer.

0 Kudos