Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

How MSI address register gets set in Altera stratix 4 pcie board?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, I am writing a Windows driver (windows 7) for 2 devices. One is for a Pci express storage device(device 1) and the other for Altera Stratix 4 PCI express board(device 2).  

For Device 1 (Pci express storage device) : When I set the Interrupt disable bit in command register(Disables legacy interrupts) and MSI Enable bit in the MSI capabilities register from my driver and then try to install the driver, I can see that the system is setting the MSI address register in the protocol analyzer(Pcie protocol analyzer was switched on during the driver installation). As expected, I am getting the MSI data to the address specified by the system. 

I followed the same procedure of setting the MSI for Altera Stratix 4 Pci express board.  

For Device 2(Altera Stratix 4 PCI express board): I cannot see the MSI address register getting set in Protocol analyzer (Pcie protocol analyzer was switched on during the driver installation). MSI data(00000000h) was being sent to a default location(00000000h). Now I tried writing some valid physical address and data into the MSI address and MSI data registers, I was getting the MSI data to the address location specified by me.  

My Questions:  

1. Who is setting the MSI address register in case of device 1?  

2. If Msi address register is being set by the system in device 1, why is the same setting not happening for device 2(Altera Stratix 4 PCI express board)? 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
0 Replies