Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

How to check if the onchip_mem is full?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm running AN429 sample code (VIP core) on my 3C120 evaluation board. I add button pio to the SOPC which already have VIP core inside. Quartus can generate ptf ok. However, when I try to build the count_binary sample code, it says memory full. How can I check if the memory is full? Does it mean I have to go to SOPC builder and change each memory address? (I tried the auto addressing but it generated some other errors) Thx 

make -s all includes  

Compiling count_binary.c... 

Linking count_binary_0.elf... 

/cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.6/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld: region onchip_mem is full (count_binary_0.elf section .text). Region needs to be 17528 bytes larger. 

/cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.6/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld: section .rodata [00000020 -> 000007db] overlaps section .exceptions [00000020 -> 000001c7] 

/cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.6/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld: section .rwdata [000007dc -> 0000232f] overlaps section .text [000001c8 -> 0000c477] 

/cygdrive/c/altera/91/nios2eds/bin/nios2-gnutools/H-i686-pc-cygwin/bin/../lib/gcc/nios2-elf/3.4.6/../../../../nios2-elf/bin/ld: section .bss [00002330 -> 0000254b] overlaps section .text [000001c8 -> 0000c477] 

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 

make: *** [count_binary_0.elf] Error 1 

Build completed in 3.015 seconds 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

binary_counter shouldn't use many memory space, right?... 

My SOPC has 8k on_chip RAM (same as AN 429) already
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to be safe try the small_hello_world template that you have in the IDE it is very small.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The errors are most certainly telling you that the onchip memory is full. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Now, I use the standard-built SOPC, it's alright. 'Coz it has external DDR. 

However, is there anyway in IDE that I can check how full the on chip RAM is? Thx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All you can do is look at the size of your compiled ELF file. This information is given to you at the end of a successful build. You can also open a nios2 command line console at any time and use the "nios2-elf-size" command on your compiled elf file to see how large it is. This of course does not take stack and heap considerations into account. 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Wait, even when I try the hello world, it says it is full??? 

I just added the led, button and LCD to the AN429 video sample code. 

It has 32k byte on chip. 

I'm confused. I think the error is not reflecting the real 'coz of the problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It is the problem with the AN429 SOPC, I use it to run the "hello world". Same error. >_< 

But, can anyone tell me what's wrong? It has cpu, on chip memory, and other VIP stuff.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's telling you the truth. Hello World with no modifications compiles to about 66K code size. Using the standard C library is heavy. Also, running a hosted application is very heavy. Additionally, having the optimization set to 0 for your BSP and applications turns out large code sizes. 

Conversely, using the "Hello World Small" application results in a program of only 408 bytes in size. 

Read the section entitled "Reducing Code Footprint" beginning on page 6-30 of this document: 

http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/nios2/n2sw_nii52004.pdf 

Jake
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Right, I just made my on_chip mem really big and it runs ok now. Thx.

0 Kudos