Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20777 Discussions

I have replaced a EP3C5F256I8N with a EP3C10F256I7N

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have replaced a EP3C5F256I8N with a EP3C10F256I7N. 

Question# 1. Is this a "drop in replacement"? 

Question# 2 Do I need to change the program to let it know that it is going into the EP3C10? 

Thanks 

O.G.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you must change the destination device and recompile, since the last one has more IO if I checked correctly. But others may give a better answer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I see, EP3C5F256 and EP3C10F256 have 100% identical pinning.  

The usual way to find out is to define the additional part as "migration device" in device setup and see if Quartus complains about any assignment violations.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

As far as I see, EP3C5F256 and EP3C10F256 have 100% identical pinning.  

The usual way to find out is to define the additional part as "migration device" in device setup and see if Quartus complains about any assignment violations.[/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it worked, the problem was with a reworked board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Question# 1. Is this a "drop in replacement"? 

--- Quote End ---  

Altera parts have Package Migration Schemes between family members for the same package. This is not a "Drop" in replacement however. They sometimes have different power/gnd and NC differences between family members. That if you design your board to accept all family/package combinations you can make it migratable. The quickest way to check is to use the device migration feature. If it gives you errors, then at a minimum a board rework will be required. But to verify, go through the device pinouts side by side to make sure. Sometimes they may have pins you don't use defined as "VCC_IO" pins etc that may not pop up in the migration messages. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Question# 2 Do I need to change the program to let it know that it is going into the EP3C10? 

--- Quote End ---  

At the very minimum you need to recompile for the target device. Most likely you are going to the bigger device because of fit issues anyway. If you already have product in the field. You need to very carefully know what FPGA is on the board so you load the correct bitfile. 

Pete
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera parts have Package Migration Schemes between family members for the same package. This is not a "Drop" in replacement however. 

--- Quote End ---  

In this case (EP3C5F256 versus EP3C10F256) it is a drop-in replacement.
0 Kudos