Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20746 Discussions

Initial DFF values after FPGA programming

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Normally I design my all my logic with an asynchronous reset, so this is not an issue, but I have recently come across an area where we might reload the FPGA via nCONFIG to reset it, and not have User IO based asynchrnonous reset. In this case a DFF with enable would have the following code: 

always @(posedge clk) if(enable) q <= data; 

What will the value of this register be before the DFF is enabled? Is this value guaranteed? Does this act the same way across all Altera device families? What about other PLD vendors?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look folks, there is no perfect circuit. We do the best we can and try to make our circuit immune to 99.9% of the wild corner cases. Create a synchronous reset circuit and specify the power-up value.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree, that asynchronous release of reset involves the possibility of timing violations and thus, metastability must be considered, in principle. 

My main intention was to clarify, that power-up values are not generally unreliable. There are however particular effects of the asynchronous released reset that should be analysed in detail.  

It's no problem to extend my above counter example by analysis of possible metastability. You have a state transition 0000 -> 0001. If we assume a metastable state for bit 0, we get possible next states of 0000, 0001 or 0010, but no other possible coding, because bit 1 to 3 are stable at 0. 

Thus, in my opinion, the discussed reset counter is metastable proof.  

As another point, you shouldn't forget about the likelihood of metastability. I doubt, that you have real chances to reproduce it in an occasional triggered reset circuit. I'm under the impression, that many designers, who talk about metastability observations actually experienced simple timing violations by asynchronous signals.
0 Kudos