Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20715 Discussions

Issue with conf_done hosing a Cyclone IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In a nutshell, it appears that something related to the conf_done pin is borking my FPGA post bitload. 

Background: 

I'm programming a Cyclone IV via a micro using PS mode. The conf_done pin goes from the FPGA to an input on the micro where it is monitored to ensure programming takes place successfully. The required 10k pullup to Vcc (3.3V in my case) is in place. The conf done line is also used to drive the ~OE inputs of two SN74LVC1G125 chips, putting them into tri-state mode when conf_done is released and pulled up. 

Problem: 

Conf_done releases as expected once the bitload is finished, but the FPGA never starts up to perform its function. Adding a tiny bit of capacitance on the conf_done line (scope probe, finger, 18pf cap) fixes this issue and the FPGA starts up just fine. Removing the buffer chips from the net also solves the issue, but I'd prefer to drive them with this line if at all possible, and I don't see why an output from the FPGA could be hosing it like this. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You didn't tell, what's driven by the said LVC125 buffers, but it seems to me, that you should think about.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The buffers actually drive the DATA0 and DCLK lines of the FPGA. Once programming finishes, CONF_DONE should tri state the buffers and disconnect the FPGA from the lines that were used to program it, as they are needed for other operations.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Page 8-32 of the handbook states: 

Two DCLK falling edges are required after CONF_DONE goes high to begin the  

initialization of the device. 

So you should enable and use the INIT_DONE signal, or build in a 2 clock delay from CONF_DONE before you tristate the DCLK and Data 0 pins. 

Pete
0 Kudos