Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20721 Discussions

LCD TOUCH SCREEN ON NEEK (Nios II Cyclone III edition)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Some of you may see me as a total noob, but i had 1 year experience in FPGA stuff on a spartan-3 board, exploitted every connector on it.  

Anyways, i am trying to get accustomed to my new Altera Nios II Cyclone III edition. First of all i am looking for a general overview for this thing, what i can do , what i can't. And most of the time, everything done on this board is dependent on Nios II processor. For example when i want to use Touch screen lcd by a stand-alone lcdcontroller.v but in many designs it has been hooked up with various other components.  

is there a stand-alone lcdcontroller? And one more question, several stuff are being generated by a third party software named SOPC, is there a nice tutorial with examples about what i can do with this stuff. 

I am developing a system which consists of SRAM, LCD TOUCH SCREEN and rs232 so i have coded my rs232 and sram but i have no idea how to start with an lcd touch screen. Is it possible that someone out there, has written an verilog code for controlling this lcd touch screen , can share it with us? 

And are IP generated components open-source ? 

Thanx in advance
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DID You got the Answer. i in much like a situation like you. 

Can you please post your suggestionss..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello it's a very simple SPI device on the NEEK. AD7843. 

You just have to read the X and Y value of the ADC converter (12bits) 

Bye
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it that much Simple(LCD too?).. Well if you got time just drop by with a simple code block. meanwhile i do my best.. Thanks for Reply..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

o i study VHDL

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Process undergoing. 

But if u can give me a shortcut:rolleyes:. 

It will help to speed up my learning process:). 

Will you?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The touch screen is hooked up to more then one component in sopc, because you have to control it's functions independently. So you have got one module for showing a picture on the lcd, one interface to access the touch data and an i²c component to set different configuration values. See the LCD-Part as three components. 

A good hint is to look into the description from Terasic under http://www.terasic.com/downloads/cd-rom/ you can find ltm and mtdb. There you find all the hints for working with the lcd. The problems I had while working with the neek were, that all data passes the MAX-Chip and because of that you can't normally use a VIP-VCO for Output. You have to use the LCD-Controller Altera provides. There is also a good connector out here in the Forum to get VGA working, see the example here http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6118 That can also be adepted to LCD, perhaps. 

I hope that helps you a bit. Good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I forgot to mention, there is a resource CD for the neek from Altera with examples and even code like the LCDController. Look under ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/download/support/ip/processors/nios2/cycloneiii_3c25_niosii-v8.0.0.exe 

SOPC-Builder is a part of Altera Quartus. It let's you create NIOS-Systems by "drag&drop". If you have got modules, that are generated by SOPC Builder, you can normally use them also in your own designs. Therefor Quartus has got the megafunction Wizard, which copy you the sources of the modules you are using into your working directory. (so sopc I think don't do that). The instantiation of the modules is described as examples in the files named ..._inst.vhdl ..._inst.v you can normally easily implement them that way. 

Again good luck.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

lot of Thanks PEET, 

Terasic Stuff is Really helpfull,  

I will soon check out all the Examples.. 

I got the Basic Knack PEET..:), I will post my further issues... 

Thanks ppl..
0 Kudos