Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

Newbie Verilog Math Q

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From my reading, it appears that a register is a 2s complement signed value. Is this correct? 

In other words, is the following accurate (please correct if not): 

reg [31:0] reg1; 

reg [31:0] reg2; 

If reg1 = FFFFFFFF and reg2 = 2, is the value of reg1+reg2 = 1 

Thanks, in advance, 

ME
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The result 1 is correct. 

Anyway the interpretation of register content as a 2-complement signed value or rather a unsigned value is a matter of your system. 

Please note that the above result also applies to a sum involving unsigned values, generating overflow.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Chris.... 

One q regarding the statement, "Anyway the interpretation of register content as a 2-complement signed value or rather a unsigned value is a matter of your system." 

Does this mean that I can select registers as signed/unsigned in Quartus. Or are you referring to my specific implementation? Could I bother you to elaborate? 

ME
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Does this mean that I can select registers as signed/unsigned in Quartus. Or are you referring to my specific implementation?  

--- Quote End ---  

You simply define a reg: its content can be signed, unsigned, fractional, floating point or whatever you need. Verilog doesn't bother about register content: it's up to you the correct interpretation. 

Clearly, the basic adder works for both signed (2-compl), unsigned and fixed point values. If you want to sum 2 floats you need a specific adder module.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks much. After a little more RTFM, it looks like: 

reg [31:0] reg1 is unsigned 

reg signed [31:0] reg 2 is signed 

Learning on the fly is always fun..... 

Thnx again..
0 Kudos