Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20810 Discussions

Project creation failed with latest Quartus Prime Standard 23.1

sgannava
Beginner

Hi,

I am using Intel Quartus Prime Standard version 23.1 for my design for Altera Cyclone V SoC development kit and Arrow SoCKit development boards. But the project creation is failing due to below error for both the designs.

Error during execution of script generate_hps_sdram.tcl: seq: Error during execution of "{S:/quartusstandard23.1/quartus/../nios2eds/Nios II Command Shell.bat} make all 2>> stderr.txt": child process exited abnormally

What should I do?

Thanks,

Sai

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

Which Operating System (OS) are you using? 

If Window OS, could you check if the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) feature is turn ON and is using WSL version 1?

Nios II is not supported in WSL2, as mentioned here.

Therefore, you need to install WSL 1 and use this version.

To do that use the following steps.

• Open the start menu and type Turn Windows features on or off

• In the window that appears, click on Windows Subsystem for Linux and, when prompted, restart your PC.

• Open a command prompt as administrator and type "wsl --list --verbose". You should get something like the following:

C:\Users\xxx> wsl --list --verbose

RichardTanSY_Intel_0-1716788044256.png

If the version is 2, then continue to the next step. Otherwise, you can skip the next step.

• If the version is 2, type wsl --set-version Ubuntu 1 where “Ubuntu” is the name of the distribution from the previous step. You should get something like this:

C:\Users\xxx> wsl --set-version Ubuntu 1

Conversion in progress, this may take a few minutes.

The operation completed successfully.

Now, if you type "wsl --list --verbose" again, you should have “1” under the “VERSION” column.

Next step:

• Type wsl -u root to enter the Ubuntu terminal and issue the following commands:

o apt update

o apt install wsl dos2unix make build-essential

Wait until the installation finishes.

After that, open Quartus and try generating the IP again.

In the case of Linux, you may need to install make and build-essential to get this to work.

Document: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683525/21-3/installing-windows-subsystem-for-linux.html

Regards,

Richard Tan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Which Operating System (OS) are you using? 

If Window OS, could you check if the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) feature is turn ON and is using WSL version 1?

Nios II is not supported in WSL2, as mentioned here.

Therefore, you need to install WSL 1 and use this version.

To do that use the following steps.

• Open the start menu and type Turn Windows features on or off

• In the window that appears, click on Windows Subsystem for Linux and, when prompted, restart your PC.

• Open a command prompt as administrator and type "wsl --list --verbose". You should get something like the following:

C:\Users\xxx> wsl --list --verbose

RichardTanSY_Intel_0-1716788044256.png

If the version is 2, then continue to the next step. Otherwise, you can skip the next step.

• If the version is 2, type wsl --set-version Ubuntu 1 where “Ubuntu” is the name of the distribution from the previous step. You should get something like this:

C:\Users\xxx> wsl --set-version Ubuntu 1

Conversion in progress, this may take a few minutes.

The operation completed successfully.

Now, if you type "wsl --list --verbose" again, you should have “1” under the “VERSION” column.

Next step:

• Type wsl -u root to enter the Ubuntu terminal and issue the following commands:

o apt update

o apt install wsl dos2unix make build-essential

Wait until the installation finishes.

After that, open Quartus and try generating the IP again.

In the case of Linux, you may need to install make and build-essential to get this to work.

Document: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683525/21-3/installing-windows-subsystem-for-linux.html

Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Richard,

I am facing this issue in Windows only.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and get back to you. Thanks

Regards,

Sai

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Thank you for acknowledging the solution provided. I'm pleased to know that your question has been addressed. 

Now, I will transitioning this thread to community support. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support.

The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos